Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

BarFly wrote: Not about Leeds I know but I ofthe wodered how there was a Wessex and is a Sussex, Essex and Middlesex but no Norssex? No, but there is Suffolk (south folk) and Norfolk (north folk.)Wessex never existed as an actual county, unlike the other three.

Si

Post by Si »

uncle mick wrote: BarFly wrote: Not about Leeds I know but I ofthe wodered how there was a Wessex and is a Sussex, Essex and Middlesex but no Norssex? That's me these days "Norssex"

book

Post by book »

Si wrote: book wrote: Hi Si, what were the 9 wapetakes ? Thanks WEST RIDING - 1. Agbrigg & Morley (Bradford, Dewsbury, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds suburbs, Wakefield); 2. Barkston Ash (Selby, Tadcaster); 3. Claro (Ripon, Knaresborough); 4. Ewcross (Dent, Ingleton, Sedbergh); 5. Osgoldcross (Pontefract, Goole, Snaith); 6. Skyrack (Leeds); 7. Staincliffe (Keighley, Settle, Skipton, Stainburn); 8. Staincross (Barnsley); 9. Strafforth and Tickhill (Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield). Great Si. I've never heard of Claro? and am now intrigued as to why the main Leeds wapentake was called skyrack?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Si

Post by Si »

Dunno.Probably named it after the pub?

book

Post by book »

Hm, it used to be a Whitbread House, sold a great pint of Amber Mild back in the day. Pub was probably named after the wapentake. But does anyone know what significance skyrack had to the area? Sorry I've found it. Skyrack is an old English name for Shire Oak.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I never knew that (or thought to look it up). Just thought it a weird old english name.I allus drank in the Original Oak, rarely ventured over the road to the 'Shire Oak'.

tilly

Post by tilly »

book wrote: Si wrote: book wrote: Hi Si, what were the 9 wapetakes ? Thanks WEST RIDING - 1. Agbrigg & Morley (Bradford, Dewsbury, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds suburbs, Wakefield); 2. Barkston Ash (Selby, Tadcaster); 3. Claro (Ripon, Knaresborough); 4. Ewcross (Dent, Ingleton, Sedbergh); 5. Osgoldcross (Pontefract, Goole, Snaith); 6. Skyrack (Leeds); 7. Staincliffe (Keighley, Settle, Skipton, Stainburn); 8. Staincross (Barnsley); 9. Strafforth and Tickhill (Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield). Great Si. I've never heard of Claro? and am now intrigued as to why the main Leeds wapentake was called skyrack? The Shire Oak at Headingley is were the Wapentake was held .I think Wapentake ment the touching of weapons after the meeting they would walk the boundrys to make shure every one knew were the boundrys were.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

book

Post by book »

tilly

Post by tilly »

book wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyrackThat's a good history lesson. Hi book its a shame they do not teach local history in schools the same has they used to when i was at school.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron

Post by Caron »

All really interesting and educational not to mention pretty hard to remember!By the way, my mam used to have an account at Skyrack and Morley many years ago but don't know if it was a bank or building society.