Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

BURLEY BAR STONE; This stone, now housed inside the main entrance of the Leeds & Holbeck Building Society, marked the medieval boundary between the manorial borough or town, of Leeds and Leeds, Main Riding, the surrounding agricultural land. First recorded 1725.Does anyone know where the other "Bar" stones were located (and where they are today?)In a book I'm reading it mentions the "West Bar" in Wortley though I've never come across this.
Attachments
__TFMF_2ob4hm2kmzbkfcnvdt1ncq45_e5825844-34f7-4635-b356-a639afe1b572_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2ob4hm2kmzbkfcnvdt1ncq45_e5825844-34f7-4635-b356-a639afe1b572_0_main.jpg (82.62 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

dogduke wrote: Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar. Thanks dogduke - when I searched I didn't find it - will use AND in future

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leeds Hippo wrote: dogduke wrote: Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar. Thanks dogduke - when I searched I didn't find it - will use AND in future Somewhere in the depths of Secret Leeds Past is the location of every one of these, the North Bar was on the front of the old Red bus station on Vicar lane (still exists?) and the south bar is on the bridge in Lower Briggate.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

East BarOn the wall in front of Leeds Parish Church of St. Peter on Kirkgate
Attachments
__TFMF_xnbhz145v2tg2w55peh0an45_575f3129-53bb-4ec6-8a7e-85b6c62951a9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xnbhz145v2tg2w55peh0an45_575f3129-53bb-4ec6-8a7e-85b6c62951a9_0_main.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

I'm surprised the 6 bar stones are not included in any of the walks the council occassionally organise - expect any "blue plaque" walks would take them in.

BJF

Post by BJF »

Does anyone know anything about the "Leeds Main Riding"? The only time I've seen it mentioned is on that plaque about the "Burley Bar" stone.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I've never heard the term 'Leeds Main Riding' before either. I do now that the word Riding in terms of Yorkshire (East,West,North) means a 'third part' of - via old English 'Thrydding' or something like that.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On its blue plaque it states that the Burley Bar Stone "marked the medieval boundary between the manorial borough, or town, of Leeds and Leeds Main Riding, the surrounding agricultural land". I did not know that.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: dogduke wrote: Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar. Thanks dogduke - when I searched I didn't find it - will use AND in future Somewhere in the depths of Secret Leeds Past is the location of every one of these, the North Bar was on the front of the old Red bus station on Vicar lane (still exists?) and the south bar is on the bridge in Lower Briggate. I recently had a look around the old West Riding Bus Depot area but I did not see anything that could be the North Bar, though it was only a cursory look around so I could have missed it if it is still there. Edit added September 26th about 20:18. Ooops I stated 'West Riding Bus Depot' but it was a bus station not a depot and the 'West Yorkshire Bus Station' also. Red faced me.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.