Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
kango

Post by kango »

What strikes Me as odd is the lack of any precision in the raids.the Luftwaffe used comparatively small bomber forces carrying small to medium loads, yet the spread over the city was fairly large.Beeston, Middleton, Holbeck. Armley, City centre, York Road Easterly road etc.I know precision bombing was a no-no at the time but it seems very much like a cut and run affair to Me.Kang.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Some of raids were 'nuisance raids' where the objective was fir a small force to immobilise a large city and production. They'd get over the target area and pootle about dropping one bomb at a time arund the city to stretch rthe response.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The drain near the gate is also still in the same position.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

kango

Post by kango »

Cardiarms wrote: Some of raids were 'nuisance raids' where the objective was fir a small force to immobilise a large city and production. They'd get over the target area and pootle about dropping one bomb at a time arund the city to stretch rthe response. Thanks Cardi' that makes a lot of sense now I think about it.Kango.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

kango wrote: What strikes Me as odd is the lack of any precision in the raids.the Luftwaffe used comparatively small bomber forces carrying small to medium loads, yet the spread over the city was fairly large.Beeston, Middleton, Holbeck. Armley, City centre, York Road Easterly road etc.I know precision bombing was a no-no at the time but it seems very much like a cut and run affair to Me.Kang. By the end of the war the British and Yanks pretty much perfected the art of precision bombing. They just wiped out the entire City. The ultimate firestorm being Dresden, which still to this day is controversial and described by many as a war crime. Upon seeing the destruction of Dresden, Churchill himself sent this memo to the Chief of the Air Staff.It seems to me that the moment has come when the question of bombing of German cities simply for the sake of increasing the terror, though under other pretexts, should be reviewed. Otherwise we shall come into control of an utterly ruined land… The destruction of Dresden remains a serious query against the conduct of Allied bombing. I am of the opinion that military objectives must henceforward be more strictly studied in our own interests than that of the enemy.The Foreign Secretary has spoken to me on this subject, and I feel the need for more precise concentration upon military objectives such as oil and communications behind the immediate battle-zone, rather than on mere acts of terror and wanton destruction, however impressive.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It has to be these houses on Easterly Grove, that's the only cul de sac with a roundabout in the area.http://g.co/maps/u2v8jSadly the street car hasn't been down that road! I'll check it out later for a photo next time I'm in the area! The Luftwaffe must have been aiming for the fforde Greene but missed More like they were too scared to upset their clientele
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

cnosni wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: It has to be these houses on Easterly Grove, that's the only cul de sac with a roundabout in the area.http://g.co/maps/u2v8jSadly the street car hasn't been down that road! I'll check it out later for a photo next time I'm in the area! The Luftwaffe must have been aiming for the fforde Greene but missed More like they were too scared to upset their clientele It would have been a great pub in those days I think Chris, come to think of it, It wouldn't have been built very long would it? It opened in 1938, It's shame the way things have gone over the years really.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Re:

Post by Leodian »

Loiner1960 wrote:Okay
Looking at old threads is one of the interesting features of Secret Leeds and that is how I came across the post by Loiner1960 with its fascinating photo that I have copied. The post was by Loiner1960 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:45pm that is currently at least on page 3.

I wonder if anyone knows at least the year that the photo was taken, as that does not seem have been asked in later posts? I know from information I looked up that Quarry Hill Flats lasted from 1938-1978 but were not finished until 1941 or 1942. If I have got the bearings right the road on the left is what is now the New York Road stretch of the Inner Ring Road and the road running right to left to the top is Marsh Lane that meets York Road at what may be the Woodpecker pub.

What I am interested to find about is when the long bridge (a footbridge?) crossing what is/was the Marsh Lane rail depot was demolished because, as far as I am aware, that bridge is not there now (I am by no means certain of that though).

Edit. After posting I found that the photo was not shown but I have managed to work out how to do it ( ;) ) so here it is:-

A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Re: Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Post by jim »

Looking through the "oldmaps" site, the long footbridge is shown as still being in place in 1991, but I believe you are correct in saying it has now been removed.

Looking at the goods yard as seen in the photo, there was once a small goods shed between the two long warehouses parallel to the main railway lines and the two smaller warehouses adjacent to Shannon Street. There is an outline to be seen where the small goods shed once stood. It is shown in place on the 1938 OS map, but is no longer in place on the 1951 OS map. I think it likely it was a victim of the bombing raid that caused extensive damage to the yard, and this may help in dating the photo

rikj

Re: Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Post by rikj »

I can't help with the date - though I would guess shortly after construction - but there is still a much shorter footbridge in the same place over the York line. It crosses from Railway Street, then quickly descends into a footpath over to Shannon Street. Presumably after the lifting of the rails in the goods yard there was no need for a bridge over this part. A footpath would suffice to preserve the right of way marked on current OS maps.