Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Well lets be honest now, who else would want to go to Blackpool?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I've heard the barracks theory for QHF and it seems to make some sort of sense.New,plenty of accommodation(almost a 1000 flats,large internal open area,easy to defend,lmited access roads and for the era central location and decent road/rail links nearby.If you wanted a decent HQ in the north/Yorkshire it's got to be in the running.Still,lets just bomb Leeds to be on the safe side.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I have my own theory as to why Blackpool wasn’t bombed much. The close proximity of Dock and Ship Building yards at Manchester, Liverpool and a bit further afield Belfast and Glasgow not to mention all the Industrial towns of Lancashire and West Yorkshire. Any bombs dropped on Blackpool are likely to have been jettisoned after raids on the more likely targets.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

liits

Post by liits »

I still think that this is all tosh.I’ve just had a quick canvas of opinion around the office and the results that came up for buildings being used as Hitler’s HQ have included the following; Senate House [University College London] again, Peabody Flats, Hackney, and, unbelievably, Byker Wall in Newcastle!The girl that came out with this gem was certain sure if her conviction [her Gran had told her]. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that Byker Wall wasn’t built until the 70’s!

jim

Post by jim »

But where would we be without tosh, Tosh?

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

It seems to have taken on the status of an Urban Legend.I first heard of it back in 1976 when I first worked in Leeds. The story / version I heard then was that Quarry Hill was going to be his HQ for the north of England.

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

A picture of Quarry Hill Flats that I found in one of my late Dads stuff. It is from a booklet on the refuse disposal system installed in the flats. Just put everything in the sink, tins as well and it was ground up and incinerated. Provided the central underfloor heating for the flats.Anyway, not much left around the flats is there?

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Sorry Just loading up the picture..

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Okay
Attachments
__TFMF_j4o2o5zgmxicke55cn1qgm45_d81ed70d-9552-4001-ae3c-69943d61fc58_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_j4o2o5zgmxicke55cn1qgm45_d81ed70d-9552-4001-ae3c-69943d61fc58_0_main.jpg (134.67 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

tigger

Post by tigger »

I have just come across this forum.As a youngster I used to play round the bunker off Stairfoot Lane and Adel Woods. It was sealed off then, so I never got inside. I did try though!This was in the 1950s, and I remember that it had been used for storing documents during the war. Or that is what people thought. I suppose that the cave could have gone back a long way, but a well used farm track would then be directly over it.My Dad was involved in bomb disposal during the war and always said that the reason Leeds was bombed so little, was the smog which covered it much of the time, and they just couldn't see it!Many bombs were dropped all over the area in the vague hope of hitting something before they turned for home. I have a burnt out German incendiary bomb from Alwoodley. Not a particularly important target by any stretch of the imagination!As to the smogs Leeds experienced, I remember walking down the hill from Leeds Grammar School, and finding myself in white fog to my waist, and yellow smog from the waist down.That would be 1962/3, so goodness knows how bad it was in the 1940s!