White Cloth Hall - part demolition?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tilly

Re: White Cloth Hall - part demolition?

Post by tilly »

To me it looks like the owner of this big chunk of land bought it with a view to flatten every thing on the site by this i mean all of the shops and build on the site.Must have thought the Old Cloth Hall was a no go rebuild what a shock they must have had wy else would you buy that site it has been run down for many years in a bad state of repair.I know some of the property's are privately owned but with the state they are in i would have thought long term they would sell if made an offer they could not refuse.I could be barking up the wrong tree ?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Wouldn't surprise me at all!

I've made some discreet insider investigations and it seems things are going on behind the scenes re the Cloth Hall. A team has been assembled within the Council to work on the rennovation / rebuild and they are meeting very regularly at the moment to develop plans. We will see...

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When did the Cloth hall disappear, The Kirkgate side must have been shops for over a hundred years and likewise on the Corn Exchange side which was a warren of old small warehouses, businesses when I was a lad nearly 80 years ago.

With no disrespect to anyone this discussion opens with " A Lady visitor from Brazil thought Kirkgate was the most beautiful she had seen and the buildings were stunning" ??
There is no one who loves my home city more than I and my wife and family living here in the West Country are constantly amused by my constant desire to return, but I always thought from Cross York St. upwards on the left side of Kirkgate was grotty.
Shall not be offended by any adverse comments made in reply to this. Jack Daly..
Last edited by volvojack on Sat 27 Aug, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

volvojack wrote:
With no disrespect to anyone this discussion opens with " A Lady visitor from Brazil thought Kirkgate thought it was the most beautiful she had seen and the buildings were stunning" ??
There is no one who loves my home city more than I and my wife and family living here in the West Country are constantly amused by my constant desire to return, but I always thought from Cross York St. upwards on the left side of Kirkgate was grotty.
Shall not be offended by any adverse comments made in reply to this. Jack Daly..
I think she was probably talking about the market buildings which only fleetingly adjoin Kirkgate. No argument from me that the area of Kirkgate between the Cross York Street and New York Street is, at the moment rather grotty. That's why it needs to be restored where possible and redeveloped where not.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy wrote:
volvojack wrote:
With no disrespect to anyone this discussion opens with " A Lady visitor from Brazil thought Kirkgate thought it was the most beautiful she had seen and the buildings were stunning" ??
I think she was probably talking about the market buildings which only fleetingly adjoin Kirkgate. No argument from me that the area of Kirkgate between the Cross York Street and New York Street is, at the moment rather grotty. That's why it needs to be restored where possible and redeveloped where not.

Sorry if I appear to be a bit thick but am still puzzled as to the actual Cloth hall whereabouts, did it embrace the shops in Kirkgate from the Scotsman Pub downwards or was it just around the back near the Corn Exchange ?.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

volvojack wrote: Sorry if I appear to be a bit thick but am still puzzled as to the actual Cloth hall whereabouts, did it embrace the shops in Kirkgate from the Scotsman Pub downwards or was it just around the back near the Corn Exchange ?.
This website will probably explain a brief outline of it Jack, either that or you will have to trawl back through all the thread.

https://leeds-list.com/culture/architec ... ve-danger/
Attachments
White Cloth Hall.jpg
White Cloth Hall.jpg (572.87 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks buffaloskinner for the attachments,
These alone are very interesting and will do as you suggest and do some trawling. Regards

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

You may also want to read this which I first posted in April 2011

http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=70
Attachments
White Cloth Hall bbc.jpg
White Cloth Hall bbc.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 6852 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Architect in place to help save Leeds First White Cloth Hall

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8096625

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good News, lets hope it all comes to fruition.