Trinity Leeds Project

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: . Getting tenents to take such stores may already be difficult and will be even more so when more become available. I wonder what they will be use for? Surely there is no requirement for more bettings shops, fast food, mobile phones and charity shops! Too true Leodian, and looking just into the near future (or so it now seems) although the mighty John Lewis may have money to gamble and to burn what on Earth is the point of the Eastgate fiasco.If I was gifted with the ablity to read a crystal ball I'm pretty sure that the word "WESTFIELD" might appear very strongly !! .
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Leeds doesn't have many international brand shops, it must be the only city I've been to in the last few years that doesn't even have an Apple Store. Hopefully Trinity will kick off a bit of a renaissance and attract new people to Leeds that are currently shopping in Manchester. There is huge potential for "shopping" as a leisure activity in Leeds making the Market, Victoria Qtr and Corn Exchange places to go and spend money rather than places to do your shopping. I know shopping sounds pretty shallow but it generates a "buzz" that attracts others to the city, I would never locate my company to Bradford even though its much cheaper because I like to spend my lunchtimes in Leeds, inst that what makes any area successful, its attractiveness to business for all kinds of reasons?

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Not in Trinity, but I have noticed Leeds will be getting a "Handpicked Hall" on Vicar Lane, an idea that's sneaked its way down from Ripon it seems. http://www.handpickedhall.co.uk/leeds/
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

jim

Post by jim »

There is now an "artwork" outside the Briggate entrance to the Trinity Project. A tall pillar carries a silver hued maiden who is somewhat underdressed for the time of the year. She may feel more at home with the evening crowds in the vicinity. From a distance I thought it was a flagpole-standing version of the "living statues" often found gracing our city-centre streets these days.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

jim wrote: There is now an "artwork" outside the Briggate entrance to the Trinity Project. A tall pillar carries a silver hued maiden who is somewhat underdressed for the time of the year. She may feel more at home with the evening crowds in the vicinity. From a distance I thought it was a flagpole-standing version of the "living statues" often found gracing our city-centre streets these days. I noticed that too this afternoon, jim. Yes, a bit like the purple bicycle man on Stonegate in York!I dread to think what extra items she will be "wearing" by the end of a busy Saturday night in Leeds! I remember many years ago some students abseiled down the Roger Stevens Lecture Theatre building at the University of Leeds to put a pair of underpants on the head of the "flying" statue on the side of the building

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: I noticed when I was in the area recently that several stores in the nearby area are relocating into the new centre. Those that I saw are:- Next, River Island and La Senza. This will though mean that their current locations may become empty, as it would not seem to make good commercial sense to keep them. Getting tenents to take such stores may already be difficult and will be even more so when more become available. I wonder what they will be use for? Surely there is no requirement for more bettings shops, fast food, mobile phones and charity shops!     I may have mentioned this before, but big name stores generally get very preferential rates within new malls for the first few years of trading to attract them - they're referred to within the sector as "anchor" stores as they provide the footfall getting the place off the ground. The amount of empty retail premises in Leeds is only set to increase and should be a worry to the council, especially as they look set to do their best to kill off city centre shopping with their never ending quest to increase and expand parking charges. anthonydna wrote: Leeds doesn't have many international brand shops, it must be the only city I've been to in the last few years that doesn't even have an Apple Store. Funnily enough, Leeds did have an Apple Store a few years ago, on the front of the Merrion Centre facing the St Johns. Last time I was in Leeds it appeared to be an "Apple store" in all but name, but run on a concession or franchise type terms with a different name on the door.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Regarding the 'artwork' outside the Trinity Leeds centre on Briggate this is a close-up photo that I took today (March 16 2013). Sorry for the not so good quality but some barriers around it made it hard to get a clear shot without the barriers in view. The artwork is good but does look fragile. I shall post a photo that shows the location better.    
Attachments
__TFMF_izdihzjuexr4gl555iur5z45_d5306964-be61-4ccf-94a0-6594e9226df4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_izdihzjuexr4gl555iur5z45_d5306964-be61-4ccf-94a0-6594e9226df4_0_main.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo shows the location of the artwork (and its temporary barriers) on Briggate. Behind is one of the soon to be opened access/egress points for the new Trinity Leeds centre.
Attachments
__TFMF_izdihzjuexr4gl555iur5z45_656b4eb8-7a5d-446d-a3b6-2fce13d8069d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_izdihzjuexr4gl555iur5z45_656b4eb8-7a5d-446d-a3b6-2fce13d8069d_0_main.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 5001 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In late a.m. to early p.m. today (March 21 2013) I, along with what looked like most of Leeds, was in the new centre that was officially opened today. It was heaving with people! I thought I would post this photo that may give an idea of the scene (in the centre is the horse artwork).It is utterly amazing inside, which came as a surprise as it was hard to tell from the outside while the work was going on.        
Attachments
__TFMF_m3xrna45ryo21b552fmuup45_a5b001f3-b70e-4a75-85fe-57382122a6c3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_m3xrna45ryo21b552fmuup45_a5b001f3-b70e-4a75-85fe-57382122a6c3_0_main.jpg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 5001 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo that I took today in the just opened Leeds Trinity centre shows something old (Trinity Church) and something new (the centre). I promise not to post more (unless otherwise ) but I thought (hoped!) this one would be of interest.
Attachments
__TFMF_m3xrna45ryo21b552fmuup45_d34e851d-a7b2-421f-bb7b-6deb63737dc6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_m3xrna45ryo21b552fmuup45_d34e851d-a7b2-421f-bb7b-6deb63737dc6_0_main.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 5001 times