Parkside

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I've discovered this on another site I post on;
Attachments
__TFMF_e2yxxj55kx05ef554h1dh2jb_bbc90c5e-00a7-4d1c-9588-ac95f2c3b0ac_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_e2yxxj55kx05ef554h1dh2jb_bbc90c5e-00a7-4d1c-9588-ac95f2c3b0ac_0_main.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
Industria Omnia Vincit

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: I've discovered this on another site I post on; Lovely stuff. The railway line is the Miggy Railway and the picture is taken from the trackbed of the Hunslet Branch line.The date is post 1965 and probably 1968 if the cameraman is on the railway.The ground once had bowls and cricket as well as Rugby and thrived as a members club but declined when it became a limited company in 1951 only for closure in 1973 as the then directors took the money (from Lenton Properties) and ran.The barrel roof stand relaced a wooden stand brought from an older ground at woodhouse hill. The Godfrey map cover for Hunslet shows the older stand as the ground was used for Hunslet Carnival.The mitchell and Kenyon films show the ground around 1904 with a mcth against Leeds. The far stand was built around 1962 and the one on the left 1914.The area was a coal mining area before it was cleared and laid out as a rugby ground in 1888/9............Thanks for that.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I went to Parkside a few times in the sixties. You could get in for 3d . I also remember Hunslet Feast being on the land adjacent to Parkside, and the steam yachts Shamrock and Columbia being there.e.g.http://www.bseps.org.uk/scf2k3/steamyachts_bscf2k3.htm    
Industria Omnia Vincit

tilly

Post by tilly »

Trojan wrote: I went to Parkside a few times in the sixties. You could get in for 3d . I also remember Hunslet Feast being on the land adjacent to Parkside, and the steam yachts Shamrock and Columbia being there.e.g.http://www.bseps.org.uk/scf2k3/steamyachts_bscf2k3.htm     Hi Trojan i used to go Parkside in the late fiftys i remember the Feast outside the ground do you remember the boxing booth they would take on all comers if you could stay on your feet for three rounds then you took the purse. The path shown on the photograph went up to Middleton Woods past a place we called farmer Wards Field as well has the train tracks there were the tram tracks running side by side.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tilly wrote: Trojan wrote: I went to Parkside a few times in the sixties. You could get in for 3d . I also remember Hunslet Feast being on the land adjacent to Parkside, and the steam yachts Shamrock and Columbia being there.e.g.http://www.bseps.org.uk/scf2k3/steamyachts_bscf2k3.htm     Hi Trojan i used to go Parkside in the late fiftys i remember the Feast outside the ground do you remember the boxing booth they would take on all comers if you could stay on your feet for three rounds then you took the purse. The path shown on the photograph went up to Middleton Woods past a place we called farmer Wards Field as well has the train tracks there were the tram tracks running side by side. I just remember Shamrock and Columbia because you didn't see them at every feast. They certainly didn't come to Morley Feast (a fortnight later) Leeds holidays were the first two weeks in August - including the old August Bank Holiday Monday. Morley Feast was the second and third week of August. Morley Feast was nothing like as big as Hunslet.
Industria Omnia Vincit

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Tilly , you mentioned boxing booths. Here's a link to the last surviving one in Aussie,maybe the last one in the world.http://media01.couriermail.com.au/extra ... 6ISFS.html
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

t

carith

Post by carith »

The first game at Parkside was played on 11 February, 1888, when they played and beat Mirfield. Just four seasons later Hunslet won their first trophy, the Yorkshire Cup, beating Leeds. In 1895, Hunslet were one of the twenty-one clubs that broke away from the Rugby Football Union, and joined the Northern Union. Hunslet adopted chocolate and white shirts in the 1890s.

tilly

Post by tilly »

yorkiesknob wrote: Tilly , you mentioned boxing booths. Here's a link to the last surviving one in Aussie,maybe the last one in the world.http://media01.couriermail.com.au/extra ... 6ISFS.html Many thanks for that yorkiesknob I was too young to go in at the time but it must have sorted the men from the boys i have many happy memories of that area used to be our playground when i lived in Hunslet.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

carith wrote: The first game at Parkside was played on 11 February, 1888, when they played and beat Mirfield. Just four seasons later Hunslet won their first trophy, the Yorkshire Cup, beating Leeds. In 1895, Hunslet were one of the twenty-one clubs that broke away from the Rugby Football Union, and joined the Northern Union. Hunslet adopted chocolate and white shirts in the 1890s. Carith,             Do you know of any source where I can track down Hunslet players from the 1950s. Any lead or direction would be warmly welcomed.