Parkside

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: I remember posting on famous sons of Leeds that Peter O' Toole who was brought up in Hunslet knows all the words to "We've Swept the Seas Before Boys" I've only heard in sung once and that was at Parkside in the sixties. I've never heard it again, does anyone on here have any idea of the words? Not sure if it was only the refrain that was sung, but it's a patriotic anti-russian war song from the Music Halls.It goes "We've got the men we've got the ships we've got the money too, and if that old red bear (something something something).....then the refrain Surely that's a line from "We don't want to fight you but by jingo if we do, We've got the...The song on which the term "jingoism" is based. Or not? May well be Mate. I seem to think the YEP came up with the answer to the club's anthem - I certainly didn't keep that cutting - wish I had.....

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: I remember posting on famous sons of Leeds that Peter O' Toole who was brought up in Hunslet knows all the words to "We've Swept the Seas Before Boys" I've only heard in sung once and that was at Parkside in the sixties. I've never heard it again, does anyone on here have any idea of the words? Not sure if it was only the refrain that was sung, but it's a patriotic anti-russian war song from the Music Halls.It goes "We've got the men we've got the ships we've got the money too, and if that old red bear (something something something).....then the refrain Surely that's a line from "We don't want to fight you but by jingo if we do, We've got the...The song on which the term "jingoism" is based. Or not? May well be Mate. I seem to think the YEP came up with the answer to the club's anthem - I certainly didn't keep that cutting - wish I had..... Googling "We've swept..." Directs you to erm this thread
Industria Omnia Vincit

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

More nostalgia ladsAndy
Attachments
__TFMF_eww5t0z2auqfmd55qpoiju55_15809cc7-79a6-421d-ae2c-0e386c480360_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_eww5t0z2auqfmd55qpoiju55_15809cc7-79a6-421d-ae2c-0e386c480360_0_main.jpg (113.08 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

pashy2 wrote: More nostalgia ladsAndy The demise of Hunslet started when the club went "limited" from a members club. Over the fifties cricket, bowls, athletics and other sections slowly peeled away to leave only the rugby. Then the council started to clear the housing and not replace it and the area sank in population from 70,000 to 17,000 people. The club, who never had rich benefactors sank too and their swansong seemed to be the 1959 chamionship final.After that for 3 years crowds were decimated, performances poor, then it was the man holding the 1962 Yorkshire Cup that rescued them, Fred Ward.He turned the whole thing around for 4 years winning the second division, the yorkshire cup and then returning to Wembley in 1965.After that younger players were readily sold prompting older players to retire and the demise continued to 1973 and closure.But Ward became a legend as a player coach. A very tough man, a good player and great coach.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: pashy2 wrote: More nostalgia ladsAndy The demise of Hunslet started when the club went "limited" from a members club. Over the fifties cricket, bowls, athletics and other sections slowly peeled away to leave only the rugby. Then the council started to clear the housing and not replace it and the area sank in population from 70,000 to 17,000 people. The club, who never had rich benefactors sank too and their swansong seemed to be the 1959 chamionship final.After that for 3 years crowds were decimated, performances poor, then it was the man holding the 1962 Yorkshire Cup that rescued them, Fred Ward.He turned the whole thing around for 4 years winning the second division, the yorkshire cup and then returning to Wembley in 1965.After that younger players were readily sold prompting older players to retire and the demise continued to 1973 and closure.But Ward became a legend as a player coach. A very tough man, a good player and great coach. As you and I have argued before, effectively Hunslet ceased to be a power in RL because Hunslet as a place where people live and work ceased to exist. Plus (this is where we differ) this period also paralelled the rise of Leeds Utd to be a power in soccer. (presumably the two lines on the graph crossed when both were at Wembley in consecutive weeks in 1965) John Giles says in his autobiography that one of the achievements of the Revie team was to change Leeds from a largely Rugby city to a largely soccer city. At a guess Hunslet were the losers. Obviously they didn't just draw their support from Hunslet but from a large area of South Leeds, and in Morley where I was brought up in the fifties there were plenty of Hunslet fans.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

The Parksider wrote: wayniac wrote: That's very interesting. My Mum's cousin is Bill Ramsey. I'd love to catch up with some of the old players.I watched games at Parkside from the late 50's until they almost folded and Geoff Gunney got behind New Hunslet.I assume Graham Wilson is the hooker who played for Hunslet. He is a character, blind as a bat. Bill Ramsay coached the club around 1977 in the second division. His side slaughtered everyone and it was a great season.Graham Wilson was the blond hooker who didn't play long for hunslet, he left for Bradford.Geoff Gunney was told by the board in 1973 that unfortunately they could not find nor afford a new ground, and Parkside was crumbling and costing them a fortune.Geoff doubled checked at the Greyhound stadium who said that they had had no contact from the club, so he kicked the club off again there. There was a lot of bitterness about the sale of Parkside and some directors preferred to cash in on the land rather than help the club carry on. Having said that a couple of them were very very honourable and could not stop the sale so they helped the club and local juniors wonderfully in future yearsI once asked about a new director on the board in the 1980's who had come and gone, wondering why? The answer was he quickly found you had to put money in not take it out so off he went!! I think after New Hunslet were kicked out of the Greyhound stadium they palyed a lot of "home" games at Batley, some at Dewsbury and some at Bramley.We used to follow them everywhere. I went to my first game around 1958 and we used to stand in the tin shed stand and watch the players come out of the rooms through the narrow race and the little picket gate. You could touch the players as they came on and off.I was at the 1962 Yorkshire Cup final. That was the game that Harry Poole broke his leg when he was still with Hull KR. I had to leave just before the end because I had a paper round. As I dashed for the 44 Bus, I heard the crowd roar, Jeff Stevenson had dropped a goal and the win was sealed at 12-2.I was there for cousin Bill Ramsey's debut game, I think he was about 18. The whole family were there to see him play. I was at Wembley in 1965, cousin Bill secured us some good tickets and my Uncle Ernest who was also a mad Hunslet supporter drove us to Wembley in his Vauxhall Victor. The car was full, my Grandma, Sister and Mother came too. There was no room for my Dad.I remember the kick-off well. Marchant kicked it out on the full and Wigan kicked a penalty at the start. We had a try disallowed when big John Griffith crashed over in the corner. If we'd had TV replays back then the cup might have come to Hunslet. I remember the Wigan winger, Trevor Lake running the length of the field with Griffith just one step behind him.Brian Gabbitas shared the Lance Todd trophy, that's how close the game was.Billy Boston ran straight through Bill Langton and knocked him cold. It was a brilliant game.I was at Parkside when Geoff Gunney was sent off for the only time in his career. The guys at Chapeltown Road deemed it "sending off sufficient" and so it should have been. Geoff Gunney is an icon of the game.I remember the last game at Parkside. I think the crowd was about 400. Some of the stands had already had accidental "fires" and the far stand had been closed for safety.I was at the game when Eric Lawrinson, the referee got into a punch up with an angry Hunslet supporter. He was a lousy referee.I remember "Sgt Major" Eric Clay, a referee who didn't stand for any nonsense.The highlight was always when we played Leeds in the Lazenby Cup, we always played ten times better.Happy days indeed.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

The Parksider wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: The Parksider wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help Peter Anson signed for Hunslet in 1947. He was never a regular but did play first team at times. He was a centre. I cant yet trace when he left the club or how many games he played. Why are you after finding out about him?? Great stuff Parksider, those dates fit spot on . I'm doing some family research. If any thing else comes up that would be appreicated I was told a story I think was about him. I think he was down for national service or something like and he didn't want to go but wanted to play Rugby so that's what he did. The cops therefore waited until matchday to lift him and turned up at Parkside and duly caught him allowing him to play the match before being accompanied off. Thanks for that Parksider,I think I confirm that story as I have a relation who knew him at that time. When I'm next in contact with him I will have a go at testing his memory. My relation was also from Hunslet and played rugby league, but only amatuer I beleive.Although I'm from Burley, my mother came from a family of 10 who lived on the Middleton estate in the 30s. My dads side all came from the south leeds area too.So may be I should start supporting Hunslet as wll as the Rhinos, and not forgetting the long lost Bramley side playing out of the Barley Mow
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Am I wrong in thinking that Hunslet played at Elland Road Football Ground for a spell? It was after leaving the Greyhound Stadium I think.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

Johnny39 wrote: Am I wrong in thinking that Hunslet played at Elland Road Football Ground for a spell? It was after leaving the Greyhound Stadium I think. That's correct. Under Bill Ramsey as coach they played at Elland Road.Usually the games were Sunday afternoon.Some odd things from the Greyhound stadium.At one game the floodlights went out and a call went out : "is there a sparky in the house"A few of us went into the switchgear hut (my brother in law is a sparky).It took a few minutes for someone to wedge the circuit breaker and the game could continue.Against Leigh, the Leigh winger beat the defence and looked over to his left and because they had those odd single posts, he put the ball down behind the line of the single post, dead ball! No try..Too funny! I think we might have won that game...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Johnny39 wrote: Am I wrong in thinking that Hunslet played at Elland Road Football Ground for a spell? It was after leaving the Greyhound Stadium I think. 3 or 4 seasons probably. They ground shared with Leeds United soon after LCC bought Elland Road from Leeds but as a condition of being awarded European Championship 1996 matches LCC, still the grounds owners at the time, had to agree to end RL being played regularly on Elland Road. LCC as a result of this agreed to provide the South Leeds stadium for Hunslet and other sporting events. Leeds United did buy back the ground at one stage possibly as part of that 96 agreement but it is under separate ownership again I believe.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/