Parkside

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

yorkiesknob wrote: I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help Pete Anson was it? Certainly a player of that name played - I'll look it up - just off to watch Leeds now.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Middleton Sheriff wrote: I was a serving Leeds City Bobby when Hunslet played their last game at Parkside, I was on duty in the ground for that match. I remember getting a programme specially for my Dad because he was a Hunslet player just before the war.We were good Hunslet stock my Dad being born in Royal Grove and me in the prefabs on Low Road.I'm sure Geoff Gunney played in that last match.Did they not start up again as Hunslet Phoenix at the Greyhound Stadium on Elland Road? Geoff was last off the pitch. I was there too.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

tyke bhoy wrote: The phoenix was both nickname and badge and refers to the phoenix rising from the flames. "so we shall again" may also refer to the phoenix but is also preceded by "We've swept the sea before boys, and......." The phoenix badge was to depict the club rising again. It replaced the Lion badge which was taken from the Hunslet board of guardians.We've swept the seas before boys was a music hall song pre-WW1 adopted by the Hunslet fans over the years.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

yorkiesknob wrote: I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help Peter Anson signed for Hunslet in 1947. He was never a regular but did play first team at times. He was a centre. I cant yet trace when he left the club or how many games he played. Why are you after finding out about him??

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

The Parksider wrote: Middleton Sheriff wrote: I was a serving Leeds City Bobby when Hunslet played their last game at Parkside, I was on duty in the ground for that match. I remember getting a programme specially for my Dad because he was a Hunslet player just before the war.We were good Hunslet stock my Dad being born in Royal Grove and me in the prefabs on Low Road.I'm sure Geoff Gunney played in that last match.Did they not start up again as Hunslet Phoenix at the Greyhound Stadium on Elland Road? Geoff was last off the pitch. I was there too. Yes it is Peter and he came from a large Hunslet family, think he past away in2002
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

The Parksider wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help Peter Anson signed for Hunslet in 1947. He was never a regular but did play first team at times. He was a centre. I cant yet trace when he left the club or how many games he played. Why are you after finding out about him?? Great stuff Parksider, those dates fit spot on . I'm doing some family research. If any thing else comes up that would be appreicated
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

yorkiesknob wrote: The Parksider wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help Peter Anson signed for Hunslet in 1947. He was never a regular but did play first team at times. He was a centre. I cant yet trace when he left the club or how many games he played. Why are you after finding out about him?? Great stuff Parksider, those dates fit spot on . I'm doing some family research. If any thing else comes up that would be appreicated I was told a story I think was about him. I think he was down for national service or something like and he didn't want to go but wanted to play Rugby so that's what he did. The cops therefore waited until matchday to lift him and turned up at Parkside and duly caught him allowing him to play the match before being accompanied off.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I remember posting on famous sons of Leeds that Peter O' Toole who was brought up in Hunslet knows all the words to "We've Swept the Seas Before Boys" I've only heard in sung once and that was at Parkside in the sixties. I've never heard it again, does anyone on here have any idea of the words?
Industria Omnia Vincit

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: I remember posting on famous sons of Leeds that Peter O' Toole who was brought up in Hunslet knows all the words to "We've Swept the Seas Before Boys" I've only heard in sung once and that was at Parkside in the sixties. I've never heard it again, does anyone on here have any idea of the words? Not sure if it was only the refrain that was sung, but it's a patriotic anti-russian war song from the Music Halls.It goes "We've got the men we've got the ships we've got the money too, and if that old red bear (something something something).....then the refrain weve swept the seas before boys and so we shall again, and so we shall and so we shall and so we shall again.Then onto the next verse.....and the refrain again.It was released as a single Tro, the "B" side was "ere we go ere we go ere we go(etc etc etc).......

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: I remember posting on famous sons of Leeds that Peter O' Toole who was brought up in Hunslet knows all the words to "We've Swept the Seas Before Boys" I've only heard in sung once and that was at Parkside in the sixties. I've never heard it again, does anyone on here have any idea of the words? Not sure if it was only the refrain that was sung, but it's a patriotic anti-russian war song from the Music Halls.It goes "We've got the men we've got the ships we've got the money too, and if that old red bear (something something something).....then the refrain Surely that's a line from "We don't want to fight you but by jingo if we do, We've got the...The song on which the term "jingoism" is based. Or not?
Industria Omnia Vincit