Peoples Theatre - Albion Street

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Vivienne

Re: Peoples Theatre - Albion Street

Post by Vivienne »

As a small child, in the 1960's we took part in annual dance competitions at the Peoples Hall in Albion Street (bottom end). It was certainly next to a furniture warehouse as the door was often open. Whenever I walk down Albion Street I often wonder exactly where it was.

Vivienne

Post by Vivienne »

As a small child, in the 1960's we took part in annual dance competitions at the Peoples Hall in Albion Street (bottom end). It was certainly next to a furniture warehouse as the door was often open. Whenever I walk down Albion Street I often wonder exactly where it was.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The only obvious hall in Albion St in the 1936 Kellys is the Cooperative Institute, which was at 11 Albion St. From the numbering, the approximate position on no 11 is marked in red on the c1953 map below
map c 1953 showing position of Cooperative institute, 11 albion St.jpg
map c 1953 showing position of Cooperative institute, 11 albion St.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 12050 times

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The only obvious hall in Albion St in the 1936 Kellys is the Cooperative Institute, which was at 11 Albion St. From the numbering, the approximate position on no 11 is marked in red on the c1953 map below

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Sorry for duplication but got message about fatal error and thought it had not posted

SteveHolbeck

Post by SteveHolbeck »

I believe the Peoples Hall was on the right hand side of Albion Street going up from Boar Lane. It belonged to the LICS (Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society). In the 1950s my auntie Kitty, an unmarried woman, would treat her nephews and nieces with a trip to the pantomime there around Christmas time. My first experience of theatre. Great times.

jim

Post by jim »

I agree with SteveHolbeck, right hand side going up Albion Street, third floor I think above the furnishing department of the shop complex. Mum was a Gilbert and Sullivan fan, and we went several times in the early 1950s to see performances by local amateur groups.