Springfield?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

It is on the left hand side going away from Brownberrie Lane after you go over the humpy bridge, I think.

Si

Post by Si »

Dalehelms wrote: As far as I know it is. I used to live on Scotland Lane. The place is quite far along, probably beyond the turn up for the airport. It belongs to Leeds City Council, I think. When the snow clears from Gorgeous Guiseley I shall go for a recce. Do you mean on the Dean Lane bit?As you know the area, I've another question for you.Opposite the airport junction on Scotland Lane, there's a derelict building with some broken windows made of red and blue glass. ISTR that this was once a petrol station. Is this true? Cheers.

Si

Post by Si »

Oops! Crossed again!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Si wrote: While doing some family history research, I discovered from my great uncle Jim's diary, that he spent three weeks at a place called "Springfield" in 1932 shortly before his death, aged about 16, of rheumatic fever. I'm assuming it was some sort of hospital or school or convalescent home. Does anyone know what it was and where it was? The only clue is that he visited Yeadon (aerodrome?) to see a "display" whilst there, and so I'm guessing it was in that area. I can't find anything on Leodis.Thanks in advance.Si.     There was also Springfield Lodge,which was a hospital for women and children in Woodbine Place,Little Woodhouse With you saying Jim was about 16,could it fit in ?                 Michael

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Si, you are correct. I forgot it changed to Dean Lane. With regard to the ruin, although it was before my time, the building was a tearoom and sweetie shop. I'm not sure about the petrol facility. I only know about the tearoom because I spotted a postcard of it on Ebay.....but forgot to bid for it!!! I'll look at my pictorial books of old Aireborough to see if there are any images of it in them.

Si

Post by Si »

Dalehelms wrote: Si, you are correct. I forgot it changed to Dean Lane. With regard to the ruin, although it was before my time, the building was a tearoom and sweetie shop. I'm not sure about the petrol facility. I only know about the tearoom because I spotted a postcard of it on Ebay.....but forgot to bid for it!!! I'll look at my pictorial books of old Aireborough to see if there are any images of it in them. Thanks again, Dalehelms.

Si

Post by Si »

uncle mick wrote: Si wrote: While doing some family history research, I discovered from my great uncle Jim's diary, that he spent three weeks at a place called "Springfield" in 1932 shortly before his death, aged about 16, of rheumatic fever. I'm assuming it was some sort of hospital or school or convalescent home. Does anyone know what it was and where it was? The only clue is that he visited Yeadon (aerodrome?) to see a "display" whilst there, and so I'm guessing it was in that area. I can't find anything on Leodis.Thanks in advance.Si.     There was also Springfield Lodge,which was a hospital for women and children in Woodbine Place,Little Woodhouse With you saying Jim was about 16,could it fit in ?                 Michael Thanks for your input, Michael. Yes, I'd seen stuff on Leodis about the Woodhouse Springfield, but I think the Horsforth one is more likely. Firstly, because of the trip to Yeadon he mentions (I don't think he'd travel far in his condition) and secondly, I think the family had Yeadon connections back then. The poor lad must have been in a lot of pain, but never once complains in his diary. An interesting entry for 25th January 1932, says, "Doctor came...Can get up in the bedroom, but I aren't going to."

Keg

Post by Keg »

Evening all, the Tea rooms you are talking about are pitured either on Leodis or in one of my "Old Leeds" books. I wil try and find it and either link or scan. The pic of Springfield on the postcard looks a bit bigger than the building i remember walking past on my way to watch the planes but time plays tricks.It's now offices filled by a recruitment company.
Keg

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

What a fascinating topic this is - my friend's mother worked at a large house at Dean Head, and possibly the little shop also (I'll ask him). There used to be a bus service on there, about twice a day for workers I think, from Horsforth and it was run from Yeadon (Moorfield) depot by Ledgard's. That must be the only SL route of which the enthusiast fraternity have no photos at all.    No such priceless picture amongst Great Uncle Jim's archives I suppose Si ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: What a fascinating topic this is - my friend's mother worked at a large house at Dean Head, and possibly the little shop also (I'll ask him). There used to be a bus service on there, about twice a day for workers I think, from Horsforth and it was run from Yeadon (Moorfield) depot by Ledgard's. That must be the only SL route of which the enthusiast fraternity have no photos at all.    No such priceless picture amongst Great Uncle Jim's archives I suppose Si ?? 'Fraid not, Blakey! Just a few old photos of family. However, there is this picture of his dad (my great grandad - him of the Hopewell Inn, Hunslet, from the Old Old Wish thread.) A bit of a "guess where" - I think I know where it was taken, but does anyone else know?PS Blakey - I noticed in a picture of Ledgard's Nelson garage entrance in Armley in "Beer and Blue Buses", that next door was B. Cavill's model shop. I used to spend my pocket money in there in the 60s. The two kids in the picture look uncannily like me and my brother!             
Attachments
__TFMF_bnowuqjpj305yjuqf14gqzv5_b7fcb6ac-093c-40ce-99d7-e4b3053bdee1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bnowuqjpj305yjuqf14gqzv5_b7fcb6ac-093c-40ce-99d7-e4b3053bdee1_0_main.jpg (160.83 KiB) Viewed 8466 times