Springfield?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

While doing some family history research, I discovered from my great uncle Jim's diary, that he spent three weeks at a place called "Springfield" in 1932 shortly before his death, aged about 16, of rheumatic fever. I'm assuming it was some sort of hospital or school or convalescent home. Does anyone know what it was and where it was? The only clue is that he visited Yeadon (aerodrome?) to see a "display" whilst there, and so I'm guessing it was in that area. I can't find anything on Leodis.Thanks in advance.Si.    

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi there Si. I think Springfield is on Scotland Lane in Horsforth. At one time it was a residential school and more recently was used to house refugees during the Bosnian war.I shall do a bit of homework to check that I'm correct.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Just been on Ebay. There is a multi view postcard with Springfield on it. The other views include Ida. I've forgotten the other two!! Look under Horsforth postcards if you want to see it.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Just looked on Ebay again. There is a postcard of Springfield itself further down the list from the multi-view.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, Dalehelms. I've looked on e-bay, but I can't find it. I've tried searching "Horsforth Postcards" but with no luck - probably my fault! What else can I try?

Si

Post by Si »

It's OK, I've found it, and here it is! Thanks very much. It was a convalescent home.
Attachments
__TFMF_q5ehni45wzs0bg2r1hulya55_3442d23d-1776-4290-bf30-d61af7fba0df_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_q5ehni45wzs0bg2r1hulya55_3442d23d-1776-4290-bf30-d61af7fba0df_0_main.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 9100 times

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Go into Horsforth on Ebay. Click "collectables" on the left hand column. When you get there, you will see postcards on the left hand column. Click it. The cards are on the first page of listing. I'm telling you this out of the top of my head because I do it on auto-pilot. I'll go back to make sure I'm giving you the correct instructions!!

Si

Post by Si »

Dalehelms wrote: Go into Horsforth on Ebay. Click "collectables" on the left hand column. When you get there, you will see postcards on the left hand column. Click it. The cards are on the first page of listing. I'm telling you this out of the top of my head because I do it on auto-pilot. I'll go back to make sure I'm giving you the correct instructions!! I think our posts crossed, Dalehelms!PS Is it still there? I've driven along Scotland Lane hundreds of times, and I don't remember seeing it.    

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I think they did!!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

As far as I know it is. I used to live on Scotland Lane. The place is quite far along, probably beyond the turn up for the airport. It belongs to Leeds City Council, I think. When the snow clears from Gorgeous Guiseley I shall go for a recce.