Triumphal Arch, Aberford

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
parlington

Post by parlington »

I have an interest in the above monument, in Parlington, Aberford and have a dedicated website to the old hall and the estate which for centuries was the home of the Gascoigne family. http://www.parlington.co.uk I believe this to be the oldest photograph of the famous arch, which uniquely commemorates the colonials victory over King George's forces in the American War of Independence, date 1783.The photo here, is I believe, the oldest yet uncovered, thought to date from around 1860, it is from a stereographic pair.
Attachments
triumphal_arch_1.jpg
triumphal_arch_1.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

Parlington is one of my favourite places to walk. have been going down there since ever i can remember and it always has the same strong sense of the past. Have only been up to the arch once as (IIRC) its beyond the extent of the public footpaths. Its such a shame when you look at all that remains of the main house, and how grand a house it was not so many years ago.

parlington

Post by parlington »

A more recent shot of the arch taken from the same side as the earlier one. The inscription reads "Liberty in N.America Triumphant MDCCLXXXIII" (1783)
Attachments
P2180341.jpg
P2180341.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 2389 times