Angling in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
book

Post by book »

Because the lake is not a fly fishery I bet there are some big trout In there. I thought fresh water mussel pearls were not valuable?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

book wrote: Because the lake is not a fly fishery I bet there are some big trout In there. I thought fresh water mussel pearls were not valuable? Yes book,there must be some very large trout in the lake by now as its more than 20 years since I caught 6 in about 30mins in the far corner of the dam.They had obviously been recently stocked as they were all undersize for taking.As to freshwater mussels not being valuable,the internet said that some people pay £100 for one.Dont know how big though.
ex-Armley lad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died.
Attachments
__TFMF_khjphz2ka4jnc4i3epn2rr55_5979aab0-9bab-4ccc-ba50-139691056f18_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_khjphz2ka4jnc4i3epn2rr55_5979aab0-9bab-4ccc-ba50-139691056f18_0_main.jpg (130.87 KiB) Viewed 2638 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Jogon wrote: stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died. Thanks jogon, I'll give it a try. Strange it wont upload as I've used the same camera.But I've changed my'puter since I last did it.    
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: Jogon wrote: stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died. Thanks jogon, I'll give it a try. Strange it wont upload as I've used the same camera.But I've changed my'puter since I last did it.    
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: Jogon wrote: stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died. Thanks jogon, I'll give it a try. Strange it wont upload as I've used the same camera.But I've changed my'puter since I last did it.    
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: stutterdog wrote: Jogon wrote: stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died. Thanks jogon, I'll give it a try. Strange it wont upload as I've used the same camera.But I've changed my'puter since I last did it.    
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: stutterdog wrote: stutterdog wrote: Jogon wrote: stdog [Q]"...unopened you'll no doubt be glad to hear! I'll try to put a photo up if I can ....................Not able to upload ,file size too big?[Q]Try searching your computer for "snipping tool". If you then have your pic up on screen you can take a screen capture of it and this will have less pixies/be not too large.You can edit and write or draw on it too. Here's one of this.Roundhay ParkI recall seeing lots of mussels when the lake had a leak. Assume they all died. Thanks jogon, I'll give it a try. Strange it wont upload as I've used the same camera.But I've changed my'puter since I last did it.     Have tried to uoload pic. but can't seem to do it!
ex-Armley lad

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

There are a couple of pond in Clayton Woods just off the outer ring road at West Park. They used to be managed by the Fox and Hounds Angling Club and you needed to be a member to legally fish there. However a few years ago they gave up their management / ownership of the ponds and now people come from far and wide to fish there - sometimes overnight! There were rumours that the ponds had been bought by a local builder who planned to drain them and build houses on the land but I believe his planning application was appropriately refused and it appears the Clayton Ponds are safe for the time being. I've heard there are all kind of fish in there including some enormous specimen eels! However as I'm not an angler I wouldnt know. I do know a few year ago police divers recovered the body of a young homeless drug addict who was murdered by a homosexual couple who tried to make it look like he'd drowned in the ponds. Forensics proved he had not and the murderers were found guilty and given long sentences which they are probably still serving. I can remember when I lived in Morley virtually every mill (and there were loads of mills!) had its own dam, many of which were good fishing spots. Alas I believe a lot of them were filled in when the mills were converted to flats.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

jonleeds wrote: There are a couple of pond in Clayton Woods just off the outer ring road at West Park. They used to be managed by the Fox and Hounds Angling Club and you needed to be a member to legally fish there. However a few years ago they gave up their management / ownership of the ponds and now people come from far and wide to fish there - sometimes overnight! There were rumours that the ponds had been bought by a local builder who planned to drain them and build houses on the land but I believe his planning application was appropriately refused and it appears the Clayton Ponds are safe for the time being. I've heard there are all kind of fish in there including some enormous specimen eels! However as I'm not an angler I wouldnt know. I do know a few year ago police divers recovered the body of a young homeless drug addict who was murdered by a homosexual couple who tried to make it look like he'd drowned in the ponds. Forensics proved he had not and the murderers were found guilty and given long sentences which they are probably still serving. I can remember when I lived in Morley virtually every mill (and there were loads of mills!) had its own dam, many of which were good fishing spots. Alas I believe a lot of them were filled in when the mills were converted to flats. Very true Jon....there was a good fishing spot where the 7 hills leisure centre once stood(The old Snooker Centre) on Bruntcliffe Rd.Morley.Large mill pond there which was very popular at the time.As a kid we used to go fish sticklebacks etc out of Jowitt's pond on Haigh Moor Rd,West Ardsley.When I passed by the other day......most of the adjacent site has become a new house build site.Was a bit surprised really as the whole area is marshy/boggy and constantly under water as indeed the site seemed to be.....heavy mud too ! Wouldn't be too keen on living there.Shame about the pond too.....it's a part of the local history and goes back at least 100 years.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !