What's this funny blue thing?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Very well covered on here a few times Cardi and something Phill put up as a 'Where and What' feature. It's a ventilation shaft for the once underground conduits used by the Electricity Company which was on Whitehall Road at the end of Northern Street, for their distribution cables.If you walk along to and over Wellington Street, you'll find another one towards the top of Queen Street on the left hand side.I gather they are blocked off even though I think the ducts remain and in are in fact listed structures!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks - I knew someone would know :-DI wonder who actually owns them?http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 19162&z=16

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Thanks - I knew someone would know :-DI wonder who actually owns them?http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 19162&z=16 Now that's just getting complicated

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There are several images in SL of the blue 'vent-like' structure on Northern Street and links to images of that elsewhere (such as those in a Flickr set of Phill's). Despite doing various searches I have however not seen a close-up view of the manufacturer of that object (I would guess there must be at least one somewhere but I could not readily find it!). This photo (taken today, May 22 2012) shows such a close-up view. I see it was (shush) made in Bradford or maybe that is just where the company was based!    
Attachments
__TFMF_obdbdr33wymarn45levaym3m_e2332109-7f9b-4222-89b8-d385d62f99e6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_obdbdr33wymarn45levaym3m_e2332109-7f9b-4222-89b8-d385d62f99e6_0_main.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 5614 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Thanks for the photo Leodian I like these reminders of old companies which have vanished.There's a web page about E (Elisha) & WH (William Henry) Haley, which shows the gravestone of Elisha at Undercliff Cemetery and an advert for E & WH Haley Ironfounders at Lister Hills Foundry in Bradford, part of a family tree website posted by Elisha's great great grandson:http://riggtree.com/Haley/Elisha1813.html

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I like these things.To me, they have a look/feel (and give Leeds a hint) of post-war Vienna.This may come from reading Third Man at School then watching the film, then listening to Anton Karas.http://youtu.be/SnOMpAAAwr4Bed Time.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Tasa for that link. "Bed Time" already Jogon! If it stays clear there may be a nice night sky view, including Saturn (in south) and Mars (in SW) at around 23:00. A very thin crescent Moon and Venus are though already too low to see in the NW unless there is a nothing to obstruct the view for a short while.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Strange how old threads come around and you build your knowledge. Now I know what those funny blue things are.They ventilate the Kirkstall Tunnel!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jogon wrote: I like these things.To me, they have a look/feel (and give Leeds a hint) of post-war Vienna.This may come from reading Third Man at School then watching the film, then listening to Anton Karas.http://youtu.be/SnOMpAAAwr4Bed Time. An absolutely wonderful film Jogon, and one of my favourite scenes was the meeting in a car on the Big wheel in the Prater Gardens. While on a rail tour of Europe last summer we had three nights in Vienna and I took myself off to the Prater Gardens (fabulous) determined to ride on the wheel despite my terror of such things. After shuffling about for ages and drifting in and out of the queue I chickened out. Ashamed of myself and disappointed I even went back the following morning to try again - this time no queue at all, but no guts either so I never did it. I did though see the Cafe Mozart in the City - the place where many gripping scenes took place - a magic feeling to see that. The reverse side of the Anton Karas record of "The Harry Lime Theme" is "The Cafe Mozart Waltz."The final scene in "The third man" is of that beatiful actress Valli as she walked slowly up the central pathway of the cemetery (See the clip above) Sorry to digress, but "The Third Man" is an all time gripping thriller with real atmosphere - I would recommend anyone to see it.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.