Jacobs Court

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BEZZ

Post by BEZZ »

Hi i dont kno if anyone can help me but my sister moved into an apartment building on the corner of sandford road and beecroft street apparantly it used to be a school called 'Kirkstall County Primary School? So far i have not found any information or history on this building, does anyone know about this place?    

carith

Post by carith »

Kirkstall county primary school was located behind what was Kirkstall county secondry school if you look at the site from kirkstall road. I went to the secondry school in the 1960s.

BEZZ

Post by BEZZ »

aww brill ty =) the reason i ask its a bit daft really shes moving to the top floor it used 2 b a library basically she met some woman who told her it was haunted up there or that was what they used to say when they were at school there, its just that part of the building theyve kept original such as the the stair case when theyve replaced everything else .... but as far as pictures etc im usually good and finding things out like that there is nothing at all on the net .. weird but thanks again.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I think we are talking about two completely different schools here. Kirkstall C P school was indeed at the junction of Beecroft Street and Sandford Road, Beecroft St being quite a steep road leading down hill from Kirkstall Hill to Commercial Road ( not Kirkstall Road)The Secondary school was facing on to Kirkstall Road between Argie Road & Barnborough St. The site appears to be occupied by a primary school nowI spent about three years at Kirkstall CP in the late forties/early fifties when to the best of my memory the Head was Mr Bateson and two of the teachers were Miss Croft and Mr Gaunt.In those days I walked to and from school daily along Kirkstall Road/Commercial Road but one day I spotted the first Feltham tram approaching (No 2099) and used my emergency penny to enjoy a ride home for once

simong

Post by simong »

I lived there when the place first opened as apartments in 2001. The conversion was quite nicely done, with the most of the classrooms duplexed into two floor flats. I have also tried to find photos or other information but there's not a lot. I was told that it was empty for quite some time before the developer converted it and that there was some relationship to the redevelopment of the blocks of flats off Kirkstall Lane and behind the school. The same developer also did the International Students' Hostel a bit further down Kirkstall Road, and it's called Jacob's Court after his son.

BEZZ

Post by BEZZ »

thanks everyone =)

Old and perculier

Post by Old and perculier »

I went to this school from the late sixties to early seventies (probably the reason it seems to have been erased from history).The llbrary was on the first floor of the left wing of the building as you look at it from Sandford Road.    

BEZZ

Post by BEZZ »

thankyou, do u know what was on the top floor ?

Looby Loo

Post by Looby Loo »

I live here now in the converted apartments/flats and am intrigued to know more about the building or see pictured if anyone has any?!!
laura morris

newyorkersusan

Re: Jacobs Court

Post by newyorkersusan »

Hi
I went to this primary school from 1962 till I was 11. Was a great school & can't believe the pics of the apartments/flats that have been created in the last decade & more. I know it is a listed building, & was on t.v. once regarding it's Victorian heritage. Mr Dickinson was our Headmaster, Mrs Reade was his secretary. Mrs Cooper, Mr Biercamp, Mrs Bennet, Mrs Thewlis & Mr Hall were some of the teachers who were there when I was .
My class mates were.....can remember most of them.....Andrew Pratt, Michael Ogden, Christopher Axall, Douglas Addison, Kathy Marshall, Alison Naylor, Catherine Scotthorn, Lynn Dinsdale, Roger Hoyle, Karen Rolfe, John Storr, John Midgley, Russell Sykes, Anthony Grey, Linda Tattersall, Julie Bolton ( a few more but can't remember them).
I remember we all went to London for a 4 day trip & stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel. We had a boat trip on the Thames & went up the GPO tower (as it was then).
I no longer live in Leeds, but my eldest went to Leeds Uni & I often would drive around old haunts of mine inc the school. Would love to go inside & see how it has all changed.
Susan Nicholl (nee Wade)