Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I'll get some more pics up by tomorrow. The good news is the place is double tin sheeted like Fort Knox. The bad news is It's ruined inside tho! (They must have heard you were coming )Is it still accesible from the driveway on Dibb Lane Phill? I remember when I came stumbled across this place back in the mid 70's when I lived in Red Lodge just up the road. It looked so incongruous, out of place amongst all the other houses, and certainly then somewhere that you would only venture towards with respect.

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

That is exactly how i feel about the house...The way of the world upsets me so much and i find this only feels stronger as i get older...Where has some peoples respect gone?On a lighter note (smile) i would like to know if it would be possible for me to get through from Dib Lane to see the house and maybe take some photos for my family album?Im staying near Temple Newsam at the end of the month and will only have a couple of hours at most, but also it will depend on the weather as i will be relying on the bus... but if the weather is ok and i can get through then i plan on doing so!
If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

If you click this link and go onto live view maps then press the birdseye view you will get a more in depth feel to the house and grounds cakeisyummy7also theres two rotation arrows that allow you to flip the view.http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Chameleon, when you came across the house in the 70's, was it boarded up or lived in? I know its a lot to ask cos it was some years ago but im wondering how many years its been left empty...

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Thankyou Brandy, i will do that after tea when the kids have settled and i have a bit of quiet time...You have all been so helpful and kind on here, its much appreciated!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: . Chameleon/TraceyGo on old-maps and bring up seacroft on the search.Go in a westerly direction until you get to Dib Lane and you will see The Grange and Fearnville as two seperate grand houses.If my coordination is right The grange with a short curved drive is north of Arthur's Rein and Fearnville is south.The Grange is the building that is still there and that short curved drive is also still there.The council are IMHO calling The Grange, Fearnville wrongly, but a mistake is a mistake. Leodis claims Asket Hall's grand stables were knocked down years ago and they are well and truly still there.It's The Grange.A "Rein" is an old word not in the oxford english for an area of ground that a stream starts in. This is graphically illustrated by the land behind "The Rein" in seacroft where all sides slope to a central channel that leads to a culvert in Asket Crescent where a tiny beck feeds down to Wyke beck. Arthurs rein feeds wykebeck on the other side.Grove house Cham hmmmmmm tried the 1851 map?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: . Chameleon/TraceyGo on old-maps and bring up seacroft on the search.Go in a westerly direction until you get to Dib Lane and you will see The Grange and Fearnville as two seperate grand houses.If my coordination is right The grange with a short curved drive is north of Arthur's Rein and Fearnville is south.The Grange is the building that is still there and that short curved drive is also still there.The council are IMHO calling The Grange, Fearnville wrongly, but a mistake is a mistake. Leodis claims Asket Hall's grand stables were knocked down years ago and they are well and truly still there.It's The Grange.A "Rein" is an old word not in the oxford english for an area of ground that a stream starts in. This is graphically illustrated by the land behind "The Rein" in seacroft where all sides slope to a central channel that leads to a culvert in Asket Crescent where a tiny beck feeds down to Wyke beck. Arthurs rein feeds wykebeck on the other side.Grove house Cham hmmmmmm tried the 1851 map? Parksider, I can't see how you arive at your conclusion here (I know we went through all in an earlier thread but tht seems a long time ago!). Working through your narative together with the maps, thebuildings apear as you say, with the one denoted as Fearnville being the closer to Oakwood Lane - surely this is the one in the pictures posted, even the viewed footprint is the same shape. This is the one which still stands and is surely Fearnville and not the Grange?Yes, already checked Old Maps for Grove House but didn't see anything. Seemingly an ancestoral home noted in several records - mystified by this one!

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Sure ive been through this too...Fearnville House would obviously (to me anyway) be within the streets called Dib Lane and Fearnville...The Grange would surely be within the streets called The Grange?I was feeling really good and positive about this and now im all confused again, plus its bedtime and im not sure i will sleep now...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cakeisyummy7 wrote: Sure ive been through this too...Fearnville House would obviously (to me anyway) be within the streets called Dib Lane and Fearnville...The Grange would surely be within the streets called The Grange?I was feeling really good and positive about this and now im all confused again, plus its bedtime and im not sure i will sleep now... Just opinions being tested - all will be well (I hope!)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: . Chameleon/TraceyGo on old-maps and bring up seacroft on the search.Go in a westerly direction until you get to Dib Lane and you will see The Grange and Fearnville as two seperate grand houses.If my coordination is right The grange with a short curved drive is north of Arthur's Rein and Fearnville is south.The Grange is the building that is still there and that short curved drive is also still there.The council are IMHO calling The Grange, Fearnville wrongly, but a mistake is a mistake. Leodis claims Asket Hall's grand stables were knocked down years ago and they are well and truly still there.It's The Grange.A "Rein" is an old word not in the oxford english for an area of ground that a stream starts in. This is graphically illustrated by the land behind "The Rein" in seacroft where all sides slope to a central channel that leads to a culvert in Asket Crescent where a tiny beck feeds down to Wyke beck. Arthurs rein feeds wykebeck on the other side.Grove house Cham hmmmmmm tried the 1851 map? Parksider, I can't see how you arive at your conclusion here (I know we went through all in an earlier thread but tht seems a long time ago!). Working through your narative together with the maps, thebuildings apear as you say, with the one denoted as Fearnville being the closer to Oakwood Lane - surely this is the one in the pictures posted, even the viewed footprint is the same shape. This is the one which still stands and is surely Fearnville and not the Grange?Yes, already checked Old Maps for Grove House but didn't see anything. Seemingly an ancestoral home noted in several records - mystified by this one! I stand corrected and am humbled by the mighty chameleon yet again.Arthurs rein is on a line with Rein Wood avenue and so it is Fearnville south of the Rein.It all came from someone saying about The Grange and was it still there. I said no but there's a pub called after it, as others said.Then someone said hey - it's still there, so I went and looked and it was - but it wasn't - because it is fearnville as you say.So The Grange must have been on the site of the present day pub.Shan't make any more statements of fact without checking wiv you first!