Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
TheUrbanDivision

Re: Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Post by TheUrbanDivision »

Leodian wrote:It looks like it used to be a fine building so it is sad that it has fallen into ruin. I wonder why it has been left unoccupied for so long and why it was allowed to deteriorate so badly :?:.
it is a fantastic building on both the inside and the out (despite the overgrowth in the ground) and I felt a sort of injustice at it's current state when I set foot in it. I did, however talk to some locals who, too were confused as to why it is in this condition - although one of them claims it's haunted! A common theory amongst a few who know about the estate is that it was council run and they ran out of money to sustain the running of it as apartments so they abandoned it until the could find a high bidder. THis was found but the owner is private who apparently bought it before running out of money to restore it and has no intention to sell. This is just a theory though amongst neighbours though, but it's a once-beautiful building and I was somewhat angry when I saw its current state, and i hope you join me in hoping for action to be taken to restore it sooner rather than later.

TheUrbanDivision

Phill_dvsn also has some good information on it towards the beginning of the forum, even if some of it conflicts with what I've been told.

LizandDavid

Post by LizandDavid »

To give further cold facts ref Fearnville House....
My wife and I lived there for several very happy years..Flat 3.. at the top of that beautiful staircase..that was !! How on earth has that beautiful grade 2 listed building ( once our happy home ) been allowed to deteriorate to such depths without some intervention from graded properties personnel?

Understandably,nature can wreak havoc in a violent and cruel manner however we have to comment that judging from the photographs, surely nature does not remove the roof and deposit it in areas unknown nor does it leave sash windows ajar for the ingress of rain,sleet,winds etc etc.....

When Leeds Council sold the property to an investor, there were many implications that the building would soon be developed to its original 18th century condition, especially in view of its Grade 2 status..

In our opinion something somewhere is very very wrong.

On a lighter note, we have lots of good memories and photographs(including the friendly ghost ) and would welcome any requests to share our experiences of
"Our home at Fearnville House ".

Regards,

Liz and David Naden.

P.S.: a lot of people will have already seen our bathroom,hall and front door area !!!!!
Did anyone watch "A Touch of Frost" when a rather violent scene was filmed at our home ??

TheUrbanDivision

LizandDavid wrote:To give further cold facts ref Fearnville House....
My wife and I lived there for several very happy years..Flat 3.. at the top of that beautiful staircase..that was !! How on earth has that beautiful grade 2 listed building ( once our happy home ) been allowed to deteriorate to such depths without some intervention from graded properties personnel?

Understandably,nature can wreak havoc in a violent and cruel manner however we have to comment that judging from the photographs, surely nature does not remove the roof and deposit it in areas unknown nor does it leave sash windows ajar for the ingress of rain,sleet,winds etc etc.....

When Leeds Council sold the property to an investor, there were many implications that the building would soon be developed to its original 18th century condition, especially in view of its Grade 2 status..

In our opinion something somewhere is very very wrong.

On a lighter note, we have lots of good memories and photographs(including the friendly ghost ) and would welcome any requests to share our experiences of
"Our home at Fearnville House ".

Regards,

Liz and David Naden.

P.S.: a lot of people will have already seen our bathroom,hall and front door area !!!!!
Did anyone watch "A Touch of Frost" when a rather violent scene was filmed at our home ??
That's really interesting actually and it feels weird now you've said it that people once lived where I was stood. I'd love to hear some of your stories of the place, if you'd be willing to share of course!

LizandDavid

Post by LizandDavid »

Will certainly give more news about our happy years at Fearnville House..
Glad to be of help..Anything in particular ?.
If we had the money we would love to buy the house back from whoever is the present owner and restore the property to its former glory.
Our worry is that the house is just going to be left to rot for years to come then bring in the demolition people and have a new home build project.

Still don't understand how a grade 2 building can officially be left like this without any signs of moving forward in a positive manner.
Buildings like this are our heritage and of tremendous historical interest for all and sundry.

Regards,
Liz and David.

TheUrbanDivision

LizandDavid wrote:Will certainly give more news about our happy years at Fearnville House..
Glad to be of help..Anything in particular ?.
If we had the money we would love to buy the house back from whoever is the present owner and restore the property to its former glory.
Our worry is that the house is just going to be left to rot for years to come then bring in the demolition people and have a new home build project.

Still don't understand how a grade 2 building can officially be left like this without any signs of moving forward in a positive manner.
Buildings like this are our heritage and of tremendous historical interest for all and sundry.

Regards,
Liz and David.
I would really be very happy to listen to ANY stories you'd be willing to tell about the place, because it's a place that really interests me, and I fully agree with your concerns about the building just being left, because the same thing has just happened to another of my favourite buildings, Gledhow Grove mansion, and it worries me that it will just leave nothing left of what used to be and I think it does definitely good to have a look back in time still present in our community.
Personally, I think a restoration project would be fantastic idea, but nobody with power seems that willing, and I worry that it's a little too far gone for anything to be done about it, especially considering how time has seemingly moved on around it.

TheUrbanDivision

I probably should have mentioned this back in September, but I'm also a film editor and documented my exploration of this building through film at the time. So, if you want to go have a look, some supportive feedback is always appreciated. This link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xi0e-Lpsqw
However, I also did not name the building anywhere in the video for obvious reasons, so, if you do want to watch it, I would encourage you to not name it if commenting, as I (and I would imagine quite a few people) would prefer at least one beautiful old derelict building around here to not be ruined by endless amounts of grafitti and fly-tipping from those who have no passion for beautiful places like this, as I have seen happen to other buildings around like it. Thanks.

LizandDavid

Post by LizandDavid »

Finally I've found time to sit down and return to the subject of our lovely old home.
When first moved in, the garden to the main entrance and rear was a total jungle of wild vegetation.Many many back breaking weeks were spent on garden reclamation.

The hard work paid off and a lovely peaceful garden was the result.
Once finished we found that we did have neighbours who shared the fruits of our labours ! :?: We had a stream of friends visiting and admiring the beauty of the house and our flat ..no 2..however,one or two of our friends became wary of their feelings stating that they always felt the sensation of ghostly presences.

Our first "encounters" happened just before Christmas one year...the tree was up with wrapped presents underneath...we both saw and heard the rustling of the wrapping papers and watched as unseen hands were "feeling" the presents.
Later,on numerous occasions,our little spaniel would turn her attention to the fireplace area and commence growling and barking running forward then backing off, her eyes fixed on something unseen to us about six foot ! high..

We experienced a lot more such events but have to say that at no times were these considered frightening..in fact we always found the house exuded peace and tranquillity.

The rooms were grand Victorian in size and style with lovely wooden shutters and such high ceilings. We were given a wedding present of a huge chandelier which nearly looked lost in this imposing vastness..the chap who fitted the chandelier for us had to go in the attic to cable up with his comments of how vast and dry this area was.

When we moved away from F.H we had no idea of future plans for the house and when we heard , possibly a year later that the house had been "condemned" due to subsidence and dryrot, we were devastated..and to further our disgust this property has been abandoned and left to rot for what must be now
20 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!

What on earth is going on ?? Who is this person or persons who allegedly bought this grade 2 listed building with the false promises of the return to former glory etc etc...

Surely, with common sense prevailing, someone must be made accountable for what is considered so so wrong in allowing this passage of time without heed of developmental progress ?

DAVID and LIZ.

TheUrbanDivision

Thanks very much for taking the time to tell all these riveting tales, I was wondering if you happened to have any pictures you might be willing to share from the time, if possible I feel they would be really interesting to see. That is if you have any, of course!

LizandDavid

Post by LizandDavid »

Yes indeed we have some photos and will gladly share. Please bear with me and I will start a search for them.... when I go into our attic looking for things , it's a different world up there !!!!

I don't suppose there has been any progress in finding out how much longer this once lovely property is going to be left to rot even further ???

As soon as found I will display.

Liz and David.