Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
TheUrbanDivision

Re: Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Post by TheUrbanDivision »

Thanks for that I entirely understand what you mean about the attic!
I haven't been around there recently as I've mainly been focused on the recent spree of demolishing all of the derelict buildings including the old bank on Harrogate road, Gledhow Grove mansion, the old hospital building and the old Oak Villa care home on the border with Potternewton park. However, aside from a few things I have to do, I'm completely free at the weekend so I shall probably venture to take a walk down there at some point to see what's going on.

J4nrm

Post by J4nrm »

This house backs on to our back garden and we're absolutely fascinated by it. LizandDavid please can you post some photo of how your flat looked back in the day. All I can do is look over our garden fence as i'm too scared to go inside (and really glad i haven't looking at the photos of the interior now). It definitely has an eerie feel to it looking at it at night from our spare room window!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L J4nrm.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

mrpeeps

Post by mrpeeps »

Just wanted to add a little that I know regarding Fearnville House , unsure if it has been mentioned previously. An application was lodged to redevelop this old grade 2 listed house back in 2012. From what I recall it was to re-establish 4 flats plus an additional making 5.... along with several (6) semi detached houses within the grounds. With access via fearnville close as access from Dib Lane was deemed inappropriate for vehicles. This was subsequently withdrawn early in 2013 due to numerous factors including an objection on the grounds the premises would need a long period of observation for Bats , along with a major objection from the coal board who stated previous mine workings could not be ruled out as shallow coal was observed in previous geological studies and to top it off a further rejection from the highways dept as Fearnville Close would have to be made a one way system and restrictions due to the entrance width meant the number of dwellings was unsustanable. All of which I think would have probably proved too expensive on top of the renovations and building.
This may be a bit sketchy , but its of what I recall at the time.
I was also following a thread a while back regarding Asket Hall and numerous questions regarding the confusion between 'the grange' and 'fearnville house' , I uncovered a map from 1856 clearly showing the location of Fearnville House and The Grange 'house' slightly down the road , along with a couple of others , one where the medical centre / old peoples home now stands and another also known as fearnville lodge ( also called rosewood lodge or something similar ) located approxiametly where the shops are on the corner of Dibb Lane and Oakwood lane

mrpeeps

Post by mrpeeps »

Looking over my last post .... Dib Lane had ( mapped 1856 ) ... from the bottom ...
GRANGE COTTAGE .... the site now adjacent to wyke beck where turnbull care home stands and the old doctors surgery ( now some kind of chiropractors )
Then ...
THE GRANGE ... approximately where The Orchard PH ( formally The Grange ph )
ARTHURS REIN ... Bog / Marsh land in between The Grange and Fearneville House ( aka Fearneville Hall , citation public England , grade II listed building)
FEARNEVILLE , not noted as Fearneville house or hall ( c1856 )
ROSE COTTAGE : now retail outlets on dib lane / oakwood lane junction ( this was later noted as Fearneville Farm c1894 )

RickSteed

Post by RickSteed »

LizandDavid wrote:
Thu 03 Nov, 2016 1:10 am
To give further cold facts ref Fearnville House....
My wife and I lived there for several very happy years..Flat 3.. at the top of that beautiful staircase..that was !! How on earth has that beautiful grade 2 listed building ( once our happy home ) been allowed to deteriorate to such depths without some intervention from graded properties personnel?

Understandably,nature can wreak havoc in a violent and cruel manner however we have to comment that judging from the photographs, surely nature does not remove the roof and deposit it in areas unknown nor does it leave sash windows ajar for the ingress of rain,sleet,winds etc etc.....

When Leeds Council sold the property to an investor, there were many implications that the building would soon be developed to its original 18th century condition, especially in view of its Grade 2 status..

In our opinion something somewhere is very very wrong.

On a lighter note, we have lots of good memories and photographs(including the friendly ghost ) and would welcome any requests to share our experiences of
"Our home at Fearnville House ".

Regards,

Liz and David Naden.

P.S.: a lot of people will have already seen our bathroom,hall and front door area !!!!!
Did anyone watch "A Touch of Frost" when a rather violent scene was filmed at our home ??
Was this the building that was used as WPC Wallace's building in the episode 'Stranger in the House' in 'A Touch of Frost? If so, do you know what date the green sheds in the garden were demolished?

RickSteed

Post by RickSteed »

TheUrbanDivision wrote:
Thu 18 Aug, 2016 3:30 pm
Leodian wrote:It looks like it used to be a fine building so it is sad that it has fallen into ruin. I wonder why it has been left unoccupied for so long and why it was allowed to deteriorate so badly :?:.
it is a fantastic building on both the inside and the out (despite the overgrowth in the ground) and I felt a sort of injustice at it's current state when I set foot in it. I did, however talk to some locals who, too were confused as to why it is in this condition - although one of them claims it's haunted! A common theory amongst a few who know about the estate is that it was council run and they ran out of money to sustain the running of it as apartments so they abandoned it until the could find a high bidder. THis was found but the owner is private who apparently bought it before running out of money to restore it and has no intention to sell. This is just a theory though amongst neighbours though, but it's a once-beautiful building and I was somewhat angry when I saw its current state, and i hope you join me in hoping for action to be taken to restore it sooner rather than later.
Was this the building that was used as WPC Wallace's building in the episode 'Stranger in the House' in 'A Touch of Frost? If so, do you know what date the green sheds in the garden were demolished?