Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

cakeisyummy7 wrote: I may have to get on a bus and find this house, it looks like their isnt an access road so wondering if its been empty for a number of years?Maybe if anyone lives within walking or driving distance, they may want to explore???????Being cheeky i know but someone may read the threads and be intrigued just a little... (smiling)Tracy. I might be able to get you some pics on Sunday. I'm up that neck of the woods. I have photographed it before. I don't know what's happened to them though. The place is heavily overgrown these days. The council owned it and people rented out the flats. For some reason the council turfed them all out and put the place up for sale. It was in the papers as a pretty scandalous decision.No one ever bought it, and years later It's pretty much ready to fall down.Were the sense is in that I don't know!     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: As far as I knew the large house on Dib Lane Leeds 8 is The Grange, and Fearnville, another large house was demolished years ago. If you pass the grange, on the left is an old gatepost I think was the start of the drive for Fearnville. May be wrong but I think that is the case and will check it. PARKSIDER - if you come back to this you (or anyone else reading), may be able to help me, similar topic - does anyone recall a Grove House in Seacroft Village. I have no recolection of hearing of this one, but have been asked about it. Any thoughts welcome.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: cakeisyummy7 wrote: I may have to get on a bus and find this house, it looks like their isnt an access road so wondering if its been empty for a number of years?Maybe if anyone lives within walking or driving distance, they may want to explore???????Being cheeky i know but someone may read the threads and be intrigued just a little... (smiling)Tracy. I might be able to get you some pics on Sunday. I'm up that neck of the woods. I have photographed it before. I don't know what's happened to them though. The place is heavily overgrown these days. The council owned it and people rented out the flats. For some reason the council turfed them all out and put the place up for sale. It was in the papers as a pretty scandalous decision.No one ever bought it, and years later It's pretty much ready to fall down.Were the sense is in that I don't know!      My equivical thoughts too Phill - had my rant about this above too!

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Found this, if its of any interest to anyone... not sure whether this will cut and paste but its here anyway.. http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... 574dad.pdf(found it on the Leeds City Council website under Listed Buildings)If you go to this site, about a third of the way down is listed Fearnville, Dib Lane, Hollin Park, L8.Im starting to have a good feeling that this may be the house i was born in but i suppose i will know hopefully for definate when i get a full copy of my birth certificate. Only thing is now im confused by the fact that either my sister or me was born in hospital so dont know whether their will be an address on my full birth certificate. Ive always been convinced that it was me that was born at home in Fearnville but it could be my sister... so i may not be any wiser when i get my birth certificate unless i find a home address. The plot thickens as they say! BUT, it is called Fearnville and it is still their, how long for i really dont know because its been sold by Leeds City Council and apparently their site, under the Listed Buildings section says that in most cases, if application is made for demolition, it is passed!!!!Since Leeds is my Birthplace, this upsets me more than you could know, WHY is this being allowed to happen. In Scarborough where i have lived since i was two, listed buildings are kept wherever possible. Scarborough people hit the roof if its known that a building may be pulled down. It has been known to happen in the past when Debenhams was pulled down and replaced with a modern eyesore, but not without Scarborough people putting in a massive fight. This payed off recently when a beautiful square of houses were completely renovated and kept for future generations to see...It breaks my heart to think that this may happen to Fearnville...            
If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

The link works... (smile)

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

You mention hospital, there could be a vague link here. St Mary's was a maternity hospital, not really quite Bramley, but near enough to be considered so by some. (That would depend upon your age too - but I'm not going to ask )

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Im sure i mentioned in a post that i was born in 1965 or are you just being a gentleman lol...I suppose by what you say that St Marys is no longer standing? I hate getting old, everything changes. I dont like change (smile)!Must get on and send for that birth certificate and hopefully i might get some answers.Going for some sleep now,Take care.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

cakeisyummy7 wrote: Im sure i mentioned in a post that i was born in 1965 or are you just being a gentleman lol...I suppose by what you say that St Marys is no longer standing? I hate getting old, everything changes. I dont like change (smile)!Must get on and send for that birth certificate and hopefully i might get some answers.Going for some sleep now,Take care. Hi cakeisyummy7 St Marys is still there i think its an old peoples home or something it was in use in 1965 so there is a big chance you could have been born there.Good luck with your quest all the very best.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

sundowner wrote: cakeisyummy7 wrote: Im sure i mentioned in a post that i was born in 1965 or are you just being a gentleman lol...I suppose by what you say that St Marys is no longer standing? I hate getting old, everything changes. I dont like change (smile)!Must get on and send for that birth certificate and hopefully i might get some answers.Going for some sleep now,Take care. Hi cakeisyummy7 St Marys is still there i think its an old peoples home or something it was in use in 1965 so there is a big chance you could have been born there.Good luck with your quest all the very best.     Yes, it was still a maternity unit at that time, just anothe rpossibility to consider - need to see what your certicficate saysHad hoped to get down to Dibb Lane today for a look too, but couldn't make it - Phill and Parksider at least hope to try too.

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Im pretty much in no doubt now to the fact that this is the house i was born in, once i get my birth certificate then i will believe it one hundred percent. Even if i find out that i was born in St Marys, this is still the house that i came home to so to me, i feel that this is my birthplace, where i started my life. I have mixed feelings about it, i suppose because ive been looking for it for so long and i still feel that i may be wrong. Silly i know because their is so much that points to it being the right house. Im also worrying that if i dont get my birth certificate soon and then come and see it that developers may move in and tear it down. Im sure this is a real possibility and i have no idea how to find out what is going to happen to it. Im through to Leeds to attend a family party on the weekend of the 29th of this month and really want to come and see it but im not sure if i will find it and even if i do, whether it will be accessible? Seem to be feeling a little down today, not sure why.Hoping your all having a nice weekend,take care.PS Spent many weekends in Leeds visiting relatives and I spent many hours playing in and around Temple Newsam as a girl! Lots and lots of fond and happy memories...