Merrion Centre Odeon

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

This was rockingham street bus station before the Merrion was built. If you notice in the legend to the map this must have closed 31.12.60 as the services stopped using it on this date. I remember the buses going through the Merrion Centre round about 1971.Slightly OT, but when did the part of Woodhouse Lane close between Merrions Street and the Headrow (ie; Dortmund Square)
Fleetline

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

1962.Woodhouse Lane is on the left from the middle edge at an angle to the bottom edge. To the right, in the middle of the photo is a large car park and Rockingham Street Bus Station, which is where the Merrion Centre is now.
Attachments
__TFMF_mvucuvvjjxn5k445psgw1k55_9bff20f6-62f7-483c-9ba5-100a2cb36214_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mvucuvvjjxn5k445psgw1k55_9bff20f6-62f7-483c-9ba5-100a2cb36214_0_main.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

LS1 wrote: If you work it out, the red highlighted area is the cinema. Don't forget, at one time this part of the centre was uncovered and the entry to the cinema was in the open air. LS1You've just solved a conundrum I had watching Rise+fall of 60's Leeds http://youtu.be/BFUqLfo23aI .See pic attd.At 0:31 it shows the Merrion Odeon but outdoors.[EDIT - If I'd read on that thread all is answered+ leodis pics]    
Attachments
__TFMF_lsst52ik05b45p45r52xk0ba_e9957a93-0d6b-4c0e-a7b1-58018d24ce61_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lsst52ik05b45p45r52xk0ba_e9957a93-0d6b-4c0e-a7b1-58018d24ce61_0_main.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 4654 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's long been a regret of mine that I never went in the Merrion Centre Odeon, though I recall it well enough. The short time it was open coincided with a long period when I had got out of the habit of going to the cinema. When I see people queuing to use the ATMs there I often wonder if they have any idea of what is behind at what (if my memory is right, but that is rarely the case nowadays!) was the Odeon's entry/exit.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I don't remember it being open air - that's a revelation. I do remember going as a child when the 'Miriam' Centre was established to see some movie that was in mega wide screen. The curtain seemed go all the way up the sides. Can't remember the film but I'll google it one day. It vexes and puzzles me why the owners keep this place mothballed. What possible benefit to them is it? There's a former cinema/bingo hall [one of many, like everywhere else] in Newcastle that does very well as a venue for minor or tribute bands, where you wouldn't get arena size crowd but you can charge £5 to £20 per head, and there's something on every night. That would strike me as potentially very lucrative for this site.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Geordie-exile wrote: The curtain seemed go all the way up the sides. Can't remember the film but I'll google it one day. You're quite right Geordie - the entire side walls were in beautiful restful fabric in a sort of soft pale orange colour. Also there was no balcony in the normal sense, but the seating rose in a gentle curve all the way to the back, where of course the seats were progressivley much higher. If you stood with your back to the screen you would see an exit along a short passage from the centre of the middle gangway - a most interesting design and a very pleasant relaxing cinema. I could never understand though why on earth it ws opened at that time - when cinema audiences were dwindling, and the main Odeon was two or three hundred yards away.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Yes! Pale orange it was.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Merrion Odeon, it certainly was a lovely cinema. I have it in my mind that the main decor was orange carpets and red seats. It's a long time ago but I'm pretty sure we saw "Cleopatra" (Liz Taylor, Richard Burton) there. I would have thought it would have made a great multi-screen cinema even today.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Geordie-exile wrote: Yes! Pale orange it was. Still is I think Geordie - I went in not too long ago on one of those "heritage open days" and all the wall fabric was still in situ. You could go in the projection room although it was virtually empty. Various items of screen equipment were still in place at floor level, but all the seats had gone, leaving the mounting studs to trip over. It was pretty dark too, for public access, but nevertheless a nostalgic experience to enjoy.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Deleted