Water Tower - Moortown

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

arry awk wrote: We got worms in our compost bin!lolEven I had worms in 1932! Father give me a supo'Tetley's bitter from 't White 'Oss, bottom ofArmla' Road and we ain't seen em'since!Said they preferred John Smith's Smooth!Just shows you. They musta been Taddy wurrums! When did White 'oss shut down 'arry?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

simong

Post by simong »

simon2710 wrote: lol better watch us back then.... >.> <.<I should imagine good ol' Menwith Hill would have something to do with it, but from research I know that Menwith Hill is just to tap into phone conversations - Generally businesses. Although that's what we think (nudge nudge, wink wink) Actually no, a large part of Menwith Hill's estate is to do with early warning systems. It appears to do some of the work that Fylingdales used to do, hence the golf balls, but also other more recent US initiatives.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

simong wrote: simon2710 wrote: lol better watch us back then.... >.> <.<I should imagine good ol' Menwith Hill would have something to do with it, but from research I know that Menwith Hill is just to tap into phone conversations - Generally businesses. Although that's what we think (nudge nudge, wink wink) Actually no, a large part of Menwith Hill's estate is to do with early warning systems. It appears to do some of the work that Fylingdales used to do, hence the golf balls, but also other more recent US initiatives. Yeah but even with all these public information acts and the like, we still won't know anyway - it being the most secretive base in the UK
Simon -H-

simong

Post by simong »

simon2710 wrote: Yeah but even with all these public information acts and the like, we still won't know anyway - it being the most secretive base in the UK Only about what it actually does - quite a lot can be inferred from the fact that it has US Air Force Base status despite officially being an RAF base: BT confirmed that it has high capacity comms cables running to it from Hunters Stones ground station in a court case in 1997, and that it has been connected to the telephone network in that way since 1975: it's known to have a role in satellite defence and in communications interception, and the existence of Echelon has more or less been confirmed in the last few years - which probably means that it's out of date. http://www.fas.org/irp/facility/menwith.htmIt is secretive, and we don't know exactly what goes on there, but on the other hand, we know exactly where it is.

Si

Post by Si »

simon2710 wrote: I'm getting confused now...There are so many Simons on SL lol. Five, I think, Simon2710. You, Simonm, Simong, BigS (I think he's a Simon,) and me (Si.) There's a few called Chris an'all!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Chrism wrote: arry awk wrote: We got worms in our compost bin!lolEven I had worms in 1932! Father give me a supo'Tetley's bitter from 't White 'Oss, bottom ofArmla' Road and we ain't seen em'since!Said they preferred John Smith's Smooth!Just shows you. They musta been Taddy wurrums! When did White 'oss shut down 'arry? Dunno exactly Chrism, but I have a foto of it in 1960which I will endeavour (?) to attach! Smoke,flamesand bad language forthcoming Shut thi lugoils! OWZAT? Six eggs!
Attachments
__TFMF_4q5u1c45jln0ukedfetjfz3g_417972c1-3142-4982-918e-ff9e16a9e2c9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4q5u1c45jln0ukedfetjfz3g_417972c1-3142-4982-918e-ff9e16a9e2c9_0_main.jpg (1009.13 KiB) Viewed 6472 times

Leodian

Re: Water Tower - Moortown

Post by Leodian »

I've never looked close at the Moortown water tower so being in the area on January 11 2019 I took these 2 photos. The first shows the water tower (photographed from outside through the security gate!) and the second is of the Yorkshire Water sign there.
MoortownWaterTowerLeedsJan112019..jpg
MoortownWaterTowerLeedsJan112019..jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
MoortownWaterTowerSiteNoticeBoardLeedsJan112019..jpg
MoortownWaterTowerSiteNoticeBoardLeedsJan112019..jpg (120.96 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

There is some brief information about the Moortown water tower and reservoirs here:

https://www.industrialhistoryonline.co. ... D=WYK01436

Nick

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Is the water tower at Middleton higher than any other in Leeds ?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I suspect that the Cookridge Water Tower is the highest one in Leeds (192m or 639ft above sea level).

Ian