Water Tower - Moortown

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

As a tall structure, I should imagine a lot of people know it - The "water town" on Harrogate Road, Moortown over the road from Ingledew Court (The big cream/white tower). I'm lead to believe there is a similar tower in Cookridge?I heard that it was used as a lookout/siren tower during World War 2 and that they used to test the siren out up to the 1990's!Can anybody confirm this or have any more info?Thank you in advance
Simon -H-

simonm

Post by simonm »

My grandma used to live about 5 min walk from Moortown corner and we regulalry heard a warning siren, but I never knew where it came from and yes, its the same as the tower at Cookridge.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

oh thank you very much...Make you wonder why they may have still tested the warning siren up to so late? :S
Simon -H-

simonm

Post by simonm »

The reason that the sirens were used for so long after the war was for early warning system during the cold war etc. There is a different way of maintaining the early warning system nowadays, but I can't tell you what it is. If I did I'd have to kill you... lol lol lol.. Only kidding, I don't have a clue really!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

lol better watch us back then.... >.> <.<I should imagine good ol' Menwith Hill would have something to do with it, but from research I know that Menwith Hill is just to tap into phone conversations - Generally businesses. Although that's what we think (nudge nudge, wink wink)
Simon -H-

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simonm wrote: The reason that the sirens were used for so long after the war was for early warning system during the cold war etc. There is a different way of maintaining the early warning system nowadays, but I can't tell you what it is. If I did I'd have to kill you... lol lol lol.. Only kidding, I don't have a clue really! Nothing if not honest simon You've been away too long - this recent contribution might be of interest -http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cheers!! Interesting that the Norfilk councils want to get rid of the flood alerts in that thread. I've heard them and the bloody loud, they were testing them whilst we were on hols in Hunstanton once.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I'm getting confused now...There are so many Simons on SL lol.I doubt or at least I haven't noticed that they still test the siren at Moortown out now (Phew!)
Simon -H-

simonm

Post by simonm »

simon2710 wrote: I'm getting confused now...There are so many Simons on SL lol.I doubt or at least I haven't noticed that they still test the siren at Moortown out now (Phew!) It's only I who oozes quality and sophistication though. The rest are just worms in comparison

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

We got worms in our compost bin!lolEven I had worms in 1932! Father give me a supo'Tetley's bitter from 't White 'Oss, bottom ofArmla' Road and we ain't seen em'since!Said they preferred John Smith's Smooth!Just shows you. They musta been Taddy wurrums!