roundhay park...castle

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
R.P.C

Post by R.P.C »

i was talking to my friends in work today about the roundhay park castle and apparently it was fake, the guy who owned it, got it built for his kids for unkniwn reasons, just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me...also..is it true that roundhay park was once owned by monks in the early 1800's?
it's only weird if you dont believe

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Have a look at these two threads - there's more if you search.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

yep its a BIG ornament,nothing more-nothing less
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

JUST A FOLLYThis image shows the ruins of the castle folly at Roundhay Park. Designed by George Nettleton the folly was built to ornament the grounds of the 372 acre park owned by Thomas Nicholson.Courtesy of Leodis
Attachments
__TFMF_ijhe02noqk3vn445f5yod03o_e30b2a69-d4fb-4449-9971-c09a1755e355_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ijhe02noqk3vn445f5yod03o_e30b2a69-d4fb-4449-9971-c09a1755e355_0_main.jpg (73.91 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

also..is it true that roundhay park was once owned by monks in the early 1800's? If the land ever belonged to a monastery it certainly wasn't in the early1800's. Henry VIII's "Dissolution of the Monasteries "confiscated all the land and property belonging to these institutions c1540.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I've done some history & pictures of the lake, monks, lido, folly, dogs head spring & waterfall herehttp://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=398532326I wouldn't mind getting a snap of the miniature railway that was there. I haven't seen one anywhere yet.    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

drapesy wrote: also..is it true that roundhay park was once owned by monks in the early 1800's? If the land ever belonged to a monastery it certainly wasn't in the early1800's. Henry VIII's "Dissolution of the Monasteries "confiscated all the land and property belonging to these institutions c1540. Burt's Illustrated History of Roundhay Park opens by telling how the 'enclosed area'formed part of the lands granted to the de Lacy familly by William the Conqueror and that in1153, Henry de Lacy confirmed a grant of:'Those lands next to Roundhay' to the Monks of Kirkstall Abbey so, whilst perhaps not owning the park, they held land nearby.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The monks had Roundhay Grange, and the land which is now to the right of Wetherby Road going into Seacroft.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Phill_d wrote: I wouldn't mind getting a snap of the miniature railway that was there. I haven't seen one anywhere yet.     I've seen a couple of photos in a book in the reference library (Roundhay Park historic landscape study) but very poor quality and they only show close-ups of the shed and lines (no locos!). Apparently it ran along the North side of the upper lake, then did a couple of circuits around Ram Wood.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Tasa wrote: Phill_d wrote: I wouldn't mind getting a snap of the miniature railway that was there. I haven't seen one anywhere yet.     I've seen a couple of photos in a book in the reference library (Roundhay Park historic landscape study) but very poor quality and they only show close-ups of the shed and lines (no locos!). Apparently it ran along the North side of the upper lake, then did a couple of circuits around Ram Wood. You might be able to still see where it ran. Although the track was taken up ages ago until recently you could see the course. nature may have reclaimed it now though...