Padlocked trapdoor at Charles Clinkard on Lands Lane / Thorntons Arcade

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I saw this and wondered if the building was ever a pub or something that needed trapdoor access. I know this is not up there witht he Skulls but it just got me thinking. It's actually like a padlocked flagstone which is a bit unusual to say the least, almost inviting interest.
Attachments
__TFMF_byh04cbkrsgwtlqwtlpeln45_96e88341-eba1-4fb8-9f74-9b7c06dfb25f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_byh04cbkrsgwtlqwtlpeln45_96e88341-eba1-4fb8-9f74-9b7c06dfb25f_0_main.jpg (177.17 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Have you got a more exact location were this is Reg?? I've heard a few things about that place ;-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, if there was no lock, you'd never know it was there. Very strange!'Ey up! Phill's on it!    

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Phill_d wrote: Have you got a more exact location were this is Reg?? I've heard a few things about that place ;-) I took the picture a while ago and I'm now wondering if it is Clinkards at the top of Thorntons arcade or the Phone shop at the top of Queens, or a different combination of either. Anyway it is the last shop on the left of either one of the two arcades which run between Briggate and Lands Lane.I find what you guys do absolutely fascinating and only wish I had the time to join you on a bit of exploration.

Si

Post by Si »

That's all cleared up, then! ;-)

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Well in the sense that it is one of two places which are 30 yards apart. There are two arcades and it is definitely the last shop on the left (heading towards Lands Lane) of one of them.    

Si

Post by Si »

I'll make a note of looking for it next time I'm in town. It's very unusual - there doesn't look to be any hinges on the opposite side. Must be there for a reason - maybe a fire hydrant? I bet the key is long lost!    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Doesn't look like much of a lock, if someone where to 'fall over it', heavily sought of, (accidentally of course), further investigation into the cause of one's injuries may be necessary....

Bunk3r

Post by Bunk3r »

Looking closer at the picture I don’t think the paving slab moves but that the padlock staple was put on the slab so something else could be locked to the floor. The Hasp is still in place but there seems to be 4 screw holes where the hasp would once have been attached to something else to stop it going walkies (although it appears whatever it was has gone walkies). Sorry its less mysterious, but if your passing it would still be worth just asking at the shop what was there to completely put the mystery to bed.

Glenny3363

Post by Glenny3363 »

Could be right I think.Maybe it was just a chain fastening point for one of those stand-alone sweet dispensers, the type that had gob-stoppers in and the like that used to be outside quite a few shops years back? just a thought.In the centre of Leeds it would need chaining down to stop it going walkabout!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!