Kirkstall Road Bus Depot (formerly LCT Trams)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
riclam

Post by riclam »

Starbuck wrote: Blakey - I know this is off the main topic but I had to follow on from your comments about the double door atlanteans. I went to junior school on Town Street, Middleton which was on the then 76 route. At first the route had interesting old AECs (number plates with 3 letters and 3 number) some of which had a bench seat behind the drivers cab facing down the bus. These were older and smaller than the Leylands (number plates xxxx NW) which were on the nearby no 12 route. Then one day in 1970 we were all amazed to see these shiny huge doube door atlanteans with the new (reversed) LCT livery. The 76 route seemed to be transformed overnight. These were the most comfortable smooth buses ( hot upstairs in summer). When I had to use them daily to go to ghigh school we had great fun on the stairs changing the "seats availabl" indicator". We had one (a "J" reg) which was even more luxurious - it featured on the back of the timetable book - squared off wheelarches and different internal lighting which i think had been at some kind of bus motorshow. I assume most of these were based at Middleton garage. that bus was XUM 428J I think, its fleetnumber was definitly 428, it was at a motoshow when new and its a shame it wasn't saved    

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

There's a nice collection of old L.C.T trams and buses with plenty of Atlanteans in the photo stream here.http://www.flickr.com/groups/leedscitytransport/pool/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Starbuck wrote: Blakey - I know this is off the main topic but I had to follow on from your comments about the double door atlanteans. I went to junior school on Town Street, Middleton which was on the then 76 route. At first the route had interesting old AECs (number plates with 3 letters and 3 number) some of which had a bench seat behind the drivers cab facing down the bus. These were older and smaller than the Leylands (number plates xxxx NW) which were on the nearby no 12 route. Then one day in 1970 we were all amazed to see these shiny huge doube door atlanteans with the new (reversed) LCT livery. The 76 route seemed to be transformed overnight. These were the most comfortable smooth buses ( hot upstairs in summer). When I had to use them daily to go to ghigh school we had great fun on the stairs changing the "seats availabl" indicator". We had one (a "J" reg) which was even more luxurious - it featured on the back of the timetable book - squared off wheelarches and different internal lighting which i think had been at some kind of bus motorshow. I assume most of these were based at Middleton garage. Crikey Starbuck WHAT a small world it is for sure !!    I was on the One Man Operated rota from the first day on the 74 and 76 routes so I must have taken you to school many a time eh ?? Just a few details may interest you. The Moor Grange to Belle Isle 74 and Middleton 76 services were interlinked, visiting each terminus alternately. The rota (which also included the number 7 from Beckett's Park to Hunslet) was shared between Headingley and Middleton depots and the buses which surprised you were, of course, the beauties that we are discussing. Ours at Headingley were all Daimler Fleetlines, Middleton had all Leyland Atlanteans.The Middleton batch of twenty were numbers 406 - 425 which had fully automatic (optional use) gearboxes which were very smooth indeed amongst other foul designs of that period - If place in fourth gear position they would set off sensibly in second gear - first if needed had to be selected in the appropriate lever position. I bet you'd forgotten number 415 of the batch, which was fitted with hot air blowers which came on as the front and centre doors opened. These were briliant and kept the bus interior really warm in the foulest weather - its drawback though was that it instantly wrecked the lady passengers' ten guinea perms.You little blighters certainly caused some havoc by sabotaging the computerised step counters - many's the time I've looked into the upstairs mirror to find loads standing up there - on the basis of "possession is nine points of the law" the standees never came down to confess for fear of being evicted.The date of the OMO conversion of those routes was July 1970. XUM 428 J was indeed exhibited by Charles H. Roe coachworks at the 1970 Commercial Motor Show.Happy memories eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Talking about First and what they did with "our" buses. It was interesting to look at some of the photos on the link provided by Phill d showing the later single door atlanteans in their prime. Between 2000 and 2006 I worked next to the Leeds International Pool (Olympic Pool to us Leeds folk) and would regularly see "W" and "X" reg with 62XX fleet numbers ( before they were renumbered by First) taking school kids to the baths. These were over 20 years old and looked like they had just painted the white with purple bits First livery over the muck. This used to upset one of the old lads who worked with us who had been an LCT driver ( and driven "62s when new) who said that Leeds had one of the finest municipal fleets in the country with most buses having a maximuum service life of 15 years.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Interesting views there - but many have forgotten now that the single door 6xxx Atlanteans and their 7xxx Fleetline sisters were the "brainchild" not of Leeds City Transport but of the newly formed West Yorkshire PTE in April 1974.The final batch of the classic dual door machines were delivered in May 1974, the last nine being in the initial PTE wishy washy "Buttermilk and emerald" colours with the spidery white "WY" logo which was nigh on invisible. SUG 595 M was the last one.I don't want to seem over controversial but personally I loathed the 6xxx vehicles. Apart from the lack of a centre exit, which was the death knell of reliable timekeeping for certain, they were small and cramped and badly laid out inside. They were also extremely unstable for some reason, rolling around badly when loaded and on bends and cambers. Standing was permitted from the start (a retrograde step after the grand centre exit beauties) and in later years was foolishly increased (varying between batches) to a ridiculous and unsafe amount, certainly 14 and I think more in some cases. Thus loaded it was impossible for passengers to move about within and I have lasting memories of the buses loading at busy stops with the top of the rear tyres invisible within the mudguard and the smell of burning rubber from "bottoming." Tied in with the old Solomatic ticket machines, and later the Almex - both unsuitable for busy services - it was a bad time for service performance. Indeed at one time a very sensible Union agreement precluded the use of the single door 6xxxs on certain extremely busy routes - notably the notorious 44 Halton Moor to Stanningley (forerunner of the present 91) which at the time enjoyed the appropriate nickname "World War 3."As far as roadholding goes, the Fleetlines were far more stable altogether. Many of the early 6xxxs had serious construction deficiencies not at all usual for Roe's excellent products and had to return to Crossgates for major attention.The Leyland Olympian which succeeded the Atlantean has been a fine machine throughout its long career, and in the latter days when Volvo took over it was improved even further.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

amber

Post by amber »

Blakey How do you remember all these facts . It takes me all the time to remember the colour of the fleet and the depots I worked but it still makes interesting reading. G

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

BlakeyThis is all really interesing and despite some of the stuff I seem to be able to remember I'm not even a bus geek! I noted from another site /www.typg.org.uk/591.html that the last double door to be delivered in LCT OMO colours SUG 591M is alive and well and awaiting restoration. Pictures on the site show it in LCT, Metro and Yorkshire Rider colours. I think the Yorkshire evening post still have a ( slightly butchered) one too (DUA ***K) and I once saw one driven into a lke on telly as part of a Noel Edmonds stunt!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

amber wrote: Blakey How do you remember all these facts . It takes me all the time to remember the colour of the fleet and the depots I worked but it still makes interesting reading. G Well G - I'm just one of those few very lucky folks who did the job not just for bread and butter, but because I've always been totally fascinated by all aspects of the industry - vehicles, schedules, fares systems etc etc and I even really did like shift work. I have al the facts in a massive library of books, photos and other literature and archives - unfortunately on the basis of "a stitch in time saves nine" I have let it all get out of control (there's only twenty four hours in the day) and every time I try to start tidying up I begin reading everything again and the shambles gets worse !!Still its always a pleasure to discuss any item with others who are interested, and I can usually dig out what's needed eventually.

amber

Post by amber »

You will have to write a book one day. A Stone wrote one and L E loaned me a copy It was quite interesting. I have given a few talks to blind goups where i do vol work but more on the lighter side of bus life and funny incidents and characters we employed. So keep on posting your posts bring back a lot of memories.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Do you know much about the Seacroft depot Blakey??
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/