Shipley Glen Dodgems

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
D2G

Post by D2G »

Not technically Leeds (There isn't a secret Bradford tho) but does anyone know if the dodgems that are at the top of the tramway at shipley glen are still operational. I remember them being done up at one point but I think ive only seen them going twice and the last time i went they didn't look used. Have they closed along with the Pleasure Grounds?, has been awhile, are they still there?
Attachments
__TFMF_fysrgv2ochcjkp55eqsl3h55_9fa004f9-9837-48d9-b1d1-11a9cfc66b7c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fysrgv2ochcjkp55eqsl3h55_9fa004f9-9837-48d9-b1d1-11a9cfc66b7c_0_main.jpg (77.13 KiB) Viewed 3660 times

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

D2G wrote: Not technically Leeds (There isn't a secret Bradford tho) but does anyone know if the dodgems that are at the top of the tramway at shipley glen are still operational. I remember them being done up at one point but I think ive only seen them going twice and the last time i went they didn't look used. Have they closed along with the Pleasure Grounds?, has been awhile, are they still there? Is the tramway still there?
Industria Omnia Vincit

slw

Post by slw »

The tramway is still open http://www.glentramway.co.uk/Not sure about the dodgems though. I liked the aerial glide ride as a kid

D2G

Post by D2G »

The Glide ride was so cool, pity the guy chopped it into tiny bits!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I've been on the tramway once, it could have been 1983 or 1984 I know it was one of those really hot summers of the eighties and lads were jumping into the canal at Saltaire off the bridge.
Industria Omnia Vincit

D2G

Post by D2G »

The tramway is great but i am worried that now the fairground above has closed that there will be no reason for people to go up it.... If i had time i would go and volunteer there but its rare i get weekends off. Does anyone have token for the last day? I heard they gave them out but i didn't go, theres none on ebay or anywhere    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I went to the fair on a school trip when I was at Beechwood Primary, so that must have been no later then 1979.We'd been to somehwere near Keighley (Riddlesden Hall, perhaps?) in the morning, then to a park for a packed lunch and then to the Shipley Glen after that. The "death slide" seemed fantastic at the time and I think I went on it two or three times.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

slw

Post by slw »

Here's a link to photo's of the last weekend of the funfairhttp://www.joylandbooks.com/shipleyglen/lastweekendgallery.htm

D2G

Post by D2G »

Wish I could have bought that egg drop arcade game! was my favorite. Bet a lot of the wooden games were sold to collectors. Does anyone have good photos of the older fair? the boat ride and other things. I have a booklet i bought from the tramway but the pictures arnt very good. I hear there are still bits of the boatride in peoples gardens

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Speaking of boat rides, there was a thread on here about Cockersdale Pleasure gardens in January but I'm blowed (is that allowed ) if I can find it!
Industria Omnia Vincit