Schofields

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
kierentc

Post by kierentc »

Bramley4woods wrote: Didn't know that:That's a crime ! you're not kidding...apparently they've kept the one at the front of the store, so from the briggate entrance that lead to the basementthe rest are all gone

Misc

Post by Misc »

That's such a shame, they were fantastic staircases. Have they gone because of positioning or just so something newer can go in?

Briggy

Post by Briggy »

Those fantastic staircases have been removed??? Evil in the extreme! Although, do I remember correctly or was it yet another urban myth from the 50s/60s that some poor child fell over the bannister from several floors above ground level whilst queuing to see Santa Claus?Schofields - nothing to compare with it these days. It was classy but still had affordable goods. What a depressingly sad day when it closed. Unforgettable memory of Schofields - if you went in just after they had opened on a morning you were overcome by the eye-wateringly strong smell of meths that they used to clean the glass counters and display units (the same happened in Boots, Matthias Robinsons etc.)And yes, there was a record / music department in the lower ground floor, next to the gentlemen's clothing dept.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I remember my mum buying a beautifull Japanes oak dining table and chairs in there. Damn thing weighed a ton, but so sturdy and solid it'll outlive owt made today from places like ikea etc. We have it now in our kitchen. Needs a little attention form a skilled french polisher, but I can't afford to get it one just yet.... One day I will and have it restored to it's former stunning self. I say that like it really needs it. Just the surface has got a little gruby over the years. It still looks fantastic.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

With reference to Schofield's record department, because I'm a sad old git, I still keep stuff in a Schofield's Record Department poly bag. It is on its last legs but my only hope of a replacement is ebay!

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I think the Somerfields off Harrogate Road in Chapel allerton used to be a Schofields - The one next the shoe shop near the little triangle with grass and next to that mansion they have converted recently.But I remember it also being "Presto's" or a name along those lines....    
Simon -H-

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

simon2710 wrote: I think the Somerfields off Harrogate Road in Chapel allerton used to be a Schofields - The one next the shoe shop near the little triangle with grass and next to that mansion they have converted recently.But I remember it also being "Presto's" or a name along those lines....     Wasn't it Liptons? In the days when Grandways was further down.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

hmmmmmm it could have possibly been it...I know it was a "Presto" once though, maybe for a short period
Simon -H-

kenholway

Re:

Post by kenholway »

Bramley4woods wrote:kierentc wrote: was the store in two halves which were connected someway in the middle, or did i dream that?i remember the toy floor too, the walls at the side of the esculator had cartoony pictures of toys and orange walls or something. it made it dead exciting as you went up. i too was easily pleased As I recall the floors on the two halves of the building didn't "tally up" on every floor. There were floors where you couldn't get to the rear half from the front, and if I am correct, one floor in the rear half where to get down to ground level you had first to go up and cross over to the front half.I also remember the coffee shop where you bought a coffee in cup with either blue or brown decoration, one of them cost tuppence or so more but got everlasting refills at your table !

didnt the colour of the cup determine if you had milk or not?

kenholway

Re: Schofields

Post by kenholway »

3 things about Schofields

1 the staff restaurant was called the green room in honour of the theatre royal
2. the tower block in the headrow was built first. I remember watching them building it from Lewis's restaurant. They built the furniture store down lands lane later
3. they had a furniture warehouse behind charles stead tannery on Sheepscar st North. We used to get off the bus at the skinners arms and cut through there to Meanwood Baths