Schofields

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

There have been a few threads that have mentioned Schofields, but none that I can see that are specifically about the shop.Does anyone have any recollections about the place?What I remember most is from when it was on the Headrow and as a child my mother would take me to the cafe. You entered the lift from the front, but exited it from a door at the back to go into the cafe! I thought this really exciting (I was easily pleased).

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

remember the doorway from the headrow side that had that constant stream of warm air blowing from large fans below??
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

Why was the toy department always on the top floor? This applied to Schofield's and Lewis's I seem to remember.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Buying my children "Ladybird" clothes in their sales and also buying my first dinner service, "Wedgwood Blue Pacific", in their January sale. The quality of their goods was second to none. I remember the mural depicting the old Red Hall on the stairway. The tearoom was another treat and also a good bribe!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Wonder what happened to the Red Hall mural... That would have looked good in the new Headrow Centre!

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

was the store in two halves which were connected someway in the middle, or did i dream that?i remember the toy floor too, the walls at the side of the esculator had cartoony pictures of toys and orange walls or something. it made it dead exciting as you went up. i too was easily pleased

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

kierentc wrote: was the store in two halves which were connected someway in the middle, or did i dream that?i remember the toy floor too, the walls at the side of the esculator had cartoony pictures of toys and orange walls or something. it made it dead exciting as you went up. i too was easily pleased Yes, I remember the 2 bits as well - there was some sort of high bridge/link to the newer section off the back by Lands Lane.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

kierentc wrote: was the store in two halves which were connected someway in the middle, or did i dream that? Yeah, there was a bridge at the back to the separate food hall. Which always smelt of strong, fresh coffee. Wonder what happened to Sir Peter Schofield?

slw

Post by slw »

Was there a record department in Schofields possibly on the Lands Lane side ?

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

the toy depertment had a railway set running right round trhe roomone of those big duplo ones that had little men to go with it.I bought my sone one of these for his fifth christmas-I was as excited as him when he opened it and we set it up.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees