Schofields

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
blackprince

Re: Schofields

Post by blackprince »

Circa 1960 my aunt was one of the ladies who lunched at Schofields and Lewis's restaurants and would sometimes take me for a treat in the school holidays.
My recollection of Schofields was that you walked in from the street through an open door which used a blast of air to separate the interior and external atmospheres. It was a glimpse of modernity in a city which still looked pre-war.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

martinu

Re: Schofields

Post by martinu »

I have not-so-fond memories of my mum taking me shopping to Schofields and Lewises when I was a young child. If I could go to the toy department, I was fine. The one dread was that mum would happen to meet a friend, and we'd be stuck there for what seemed like several hours while the grown-ups yattered on about things that I didn't understand or people that I didn't I know. I'm sure parents don't appreciate how boring it is to be tethered to your mum ("don't let go of my hand or you might get lost") when you want to be doing things.