Old Dispensary

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
ceejaylufc
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed 02 Apr, 2008 7:29 am

Postby ceejaylufc » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:55 pm

Anybody remember this ?? - I can remember the smell of iodine when I walked in. My brother used to go there about 30 odd years ago. Can anybody remember when it closed down ?
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:00 pm

ceejaylufc wrote:
Anybody remember this ?? - I can remember the smell of iodine when I walked in. My brother used to go there about 30 odd years ago. Can anybody remember when it closed down ?


I had a couple of out-patient visits there - horrible depressing hole is mymemory, but probably an interesting building, doubtless much altered now. The memories are not strong, but was there not a large central waiting area with consulting rooms around the outside. Perhaps a Casualty Unit too?
User avatar
tyke bhoy
PostsCOLON 2068
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 4:48 am
LocationCOLON Leeds/Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby tyke bhoy » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:28 pm

definitely a casualty unit there. It almost cost me my right leg from the knee about 1971 (was 7 or 8 ). I had several stitches in a knee wound there which became infected. More than an op per day in a week and then several weeks in Jimmy's followed by 3+ months in a wheelchair while at primary school and I got away wi it.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthouse

http://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/
LS1
PostsCOLON 2147
JoinedCOLON Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:30 am

Postby LS1 » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:59 pm

Do you mean the one that is on North Street, now the deaf and blind centre? The other one Vicar Lane that became the Chest Clinic has just closed down also.


wiggy
PostsCOLON 1088
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jun, 2007 9:39 am

Postby wiggy » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 1:46 am

LS1 wrote:
Do you mean the one that is on North Street, now the deaf and blind centre? The other one Vicar Lane that became the Chest Clinic has just closed down also.

it was north street,i still carry a very germanic scar above my left eye,that was stitched by the good sisters...i was jumping on and off the steps of grants the jewelers,when it was on the kirkgate end of call lane,when after slipping(as my parents had warned me i would) my face hit my sisters high coach built perambulator,and was almost torn off on the side hooks that were used for folding the frame.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?
Tasa
PostsCOLON 826
JoinedCOLON Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:11 am

Postby Tasa » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 2:39 pm

I had permanently purple knees as a child, from having Gentian Violet painted on them at the Dispensary every time I had a bad fall at school (it was some sort of anti-bacterial treatment) - I must have been very accident-prone!
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5683
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 3:23 pm

The following event on today's date (June 6) in 1867 is reported in John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire from the earliest period to the present time' volume III covering 1866-1874.

"June 6th 1867. The new Public Dispensary for Leeds, erected in North Street, was formally opened , the occasion being celebrated by a luncheon, presided over by Mr. T. Kirkby, a gentleman who had taken an active part in the carrying out of the undertaking. The total cost of the structure, inclusive of fittings, amounted to about £4500."    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
somme1916
PostsCOLON 982
JoinedCOLON Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 3:32 pm

Leodian wrote:
The following event on today's date (June 6) in 1867 is reported in John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire from the earliest period to the present time' volume III covering 1866-1874.

"June 6th 1867. The new Public Dispensary for Leeds, erected in North Street, was formally opened , the occasion being celebrated by a luncheon, presided over by Mr. T. Kirkby, a gentleman who had taken an active part in the carrying out of the undertaking. The total cost of the structure, inclusive of fittings, amounted to about £4500."    


Sounded good 'til you got to "undertaking" then all sorts of horrors sprang to mind ! he hee
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5683
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 3:50 pm

somme1916 wrote:
Leodian wrote:
The following event on today's date (June 6) in 1867 is reported in John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire from the earliest period to the present time' volume III covering 1866-1874.

"June 6th 1867. The new Public Dispensary for Leeds, erected in North Street, was formally opened , the occasion being celebrated by a luncheon, presided over by Mr. T. Kirkby, a gentleman who had taken an active part in the carrying out of the undertaking. The total cost of the structure, inclusive of fittings, amounted to about £4500."    


Sounded good 'til you got to "undertaking" then all sorts of horrors sprang to mind ! he hee


Regular Smiley
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
Caron
PostsCOLON 798
JoinedCOLON Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:34 pm

Postby Caron » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 5:35 pm

I remember the old dispensary. Sat waiting for my sister to have her head stitched amidst rows and rows of chairs and cubicles and a strange smell. I was only 5.    

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6 and 0 guests