Old Dispensary

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Old Dispensary

Post by Leodian »

Renovation development work is progressing at the old dispensary as can be seen in these photos that I took on September 12 2018. The first shows the North Street front now well covered in scaffolding. The second is a view of the rear taken on what is left of what was Back Brunswick Street. It is not very obvious in that photo but at least some of the roof has been removed and the inside seemed to have been gutted (the being erected student accommodation building on the other side of the Inner Ring Road can be seen through the empty windows). The third photo shows a view of the Hartley Street front in which it can be again be seen that some of the roof has been removed (compare it to a photo that I took on July 19 2018 and posted on July 20).
OldDispensaryNorthStreetViewLeedsSept122018..jpg
OldDispensaryNorthStreetViewLeedsSept122018..jpg (213.93 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
OldDispensaryByWhatWasBackBrunswickStreetLeedsSept122018..jpg
OldDispensaryByWhatWasBackBrunswickStreetLeedsSept122018..jpg (120.01 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
OldDispensaryHartleyStreetFrontageLeedsSept122018..jpg
OldDispensaryHartleyStreetFrontageLeedsSept122018..jpg (142.29 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo of the old Dispensary that I took from North street on October 9 2018. The scaffolding has very recently been removed. As part of the ongoing development into apartments the roof seems to have been removed and what can be also be seen from outside (best seen from the Hartley Hill side) at least the inside of the top floor has been gutted. If there were any nice features left of the old Dispensary I hope they have been retained to be part of the new building.
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLeedsOct092018.jpg
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLeedsOct092018.jpg (168.02 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

thomask

Re:

Post by thomask »

Leodian wrote:somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: The following event on today's date (June 6) in 1867 is reported in John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire from the earliest period to the present time' volume III covering 1866-1874."June 6th 1867. The new Public Dispensary for Leeds, erected in North Street, was formally opened , the occasion being celebrated by a luncheon, presided over by Mr. T. Kirkby, a gentleman who had taken an active sizegenetics extender part in the carrying out of the undertaking. The total cost of the structure, inclusive of fittings, amounted to about £4500."     Sounded good 'til you got to "undertaking" then all sorts of horrors sprang to mind ! he hee
That summarizes it all! I remember this old dispensary. My brother has a road side accident and we'd to take him there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The development work is still going on at the old dispensary. This is a photo that I took on November 6 2018. Though not much appears to have changed in this view since a photo that I took on September 12 2018 at least most of the windows have had their glass removed. I had a brief chat to someone that was going into the site and I asked if any of the dispensary's old features were still there and was told that there are still some in an 'office' to the North Street end.
OldDispensaryViewFromVicarLaneNorthStreetJunctionNov062018..jpg
OldDispensaryViewFromVicarLaneNorthStreetJunctionNov062018..jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 4405 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I am now very confused (easily done I know ;)) as to what has been actually been approved for the development of the old Dispensary. On page 5 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (December 3 2018) it reports that a London-based company Avenir Works Ltd has applied to convert the building into 84 flats and that a decision on the application could be made by January 7. Much (if not all) of the inside of the building has recently been gutted for what I thought was an already approved development into apartments.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I for one am all for retaining the exterior of old buildings its better than filling the area with concrete blocks.Its not always possible to do this but consideration should be given when redevelopment takes place.Never mind it could cost more, history is important a lot of the buyers of old property dont come from Leeds so have no affiliation with the city. Its up to the planing department to stipulate what can and cant be done with our old buildings and not look at it from a money making point of view well thats how i feel about our old buildings.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.