Old Dispensary

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BarFly

Post by BarFly »

book wrote: Unless the developer torches it and then works from a blank canvas Ah, the "Bradford Method" [allegedly, it would seem, possibly, other such diclaimers].

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

BarFly wrote: book wrote: Unless the developer torches it and then works from a blank canvas Ah, the "Bradford Method" [allegedly, it would seem, possibly, other such diclaimers]. Really you two, such cynicism? On Secret Leeds? I don't believe it! Let's see what "develops", shall we?.

dogduke

Re: Old Dispensary

Post by dogduke »

Planning application YEP today
Avenue A,application to convert to 81 flats and
retail ground floor,Centenary House,North St.
Looks like West Yorks Fire and Rescue can rest easy in their beds now.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote:Planning application YEP today
Avenue A,application to convert to 81 flats and
retail ground floor,Centenary House,North St.
Looks like West Yorks Fire and Rescue can rest easy in their beds now.
It's still ongoing!

On page 8 of today's YEP (April 11 2017) it reports the "...Grade II listed Centenary House at Sheepscar is subject to an application for change of use, conversion and extension to form 80 flats and a ground floor commercial unit".

What particularly caught my eye though is that it is stated to be "at Sheepscar". I doubt that is the case but if that is its location then that really surprises me :o. Confusingly however in a 'Listed Buildings Website' that I've just looked at it states "Locality: City and Hunslet". That seems to be the Leeds ward it is in, but Hunslet is really pushing it for its actual location ;). To be honest if I was asked I would be unsure what its general location area name is and would probably say the Lovell Park area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Work is underway in developing the old Public Dispensary (now known as Centenary House) on North Street, Leeds. I understand it is to be developed into at least apartments. I took these 2 photos on July 19 2018 when the very recently added huge advertisement caught my eye. It's good to see that this fine building is no longer standing vacant and is actually being developed.
OldDispensary(NowCentenaryHouse)NorthStreetLeedsJuly192018(1)..jpg
OldDispensary(NowCentenaryHouse)NorthStreetLeedsJuly192018(1)..jpg (146.85 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
OldDispensary(NowCentenaryHouse)NorthStreetLeedsJuly192018(2)..jpg
OldDispensary(NowCentenaryHouse)NorthStreetLeedsJuly192018(2)..jpg (119.06 KiB) Viewed 6282 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Your second Picture takes me back Leodian. I was working down North Street and walking up to Town there was a very deep excavation just past the Dispensary carpark. I just could not understnd what it could be for.
I would say about 1960, although there seems to be conflicting comments on when Work actually commenced.

Thank goodness it was built , even though it may not be perfect as other Cities are clogged wirh Traffic holdups every day at Rush hour

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the late 1960s i broke the two small bones in my right foot and after an X Ray at the Dispensary i had a Plaster Cast fitted over my foot and nearly up to my knee. After the allotted time i went to have it removed and the Doctor told me to walk up and down to make sure the two toes had healed. I had remembered to take my shoe with me but my Foot was quite tender as it had been in Plaster for some months. As i limped up and down i kept assuring him that it was fine and in the end, Although he was near to making me have another Cast on, he did discharge me. I was in real agony and sat down as soon as i could. I slipped off my shoe and inside was a Plastic Dummy belonging to my Daughter, which she must have put there over the last 3 months.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I broke my arm when I was about 6 or 7 in 1954/5 and was taken to this dispensary. It was x-rayed , operated on and set in plaster cast. The 1950's masks and gowns were scary and nobody tried to be chatty or introduce themeselves like they do nowadays to calm your nerves.I still remember being asked to count down from 20 when the general anaesthetic was being given in the operating theatre. All subsequent treatment and plaster cast removal were at the LGI, so I never set foot in the old dispensary again.
Still the operation was successful and the patient survived!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I remember being more or less forced by my worried parents to go there in the mdi 1950's. I had only skinned my elbow, I had much worse than that on my knees with no attention, so I couldn't understand all the fuss. Maybe they had seen warnings about sepsis.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Some work has started on the development of the old Public Dispensary. These are 3 photos that I took on August 21 2018. I hope that the nice feature over the North Street doorway is preserved and also the nice one over a doorway on the Hartley Hill frontage (that feature is not publicly readily accessible now to photograph).
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLeedsAug212018..jpg
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLeedsAug212018..jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLookingToVicarLaneLeedsAug212018..jpg
OldDispensaryNorthStreetLookingToVicarLaneLeedsAug212018..jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
OldFeatureOverNorthStreetDoorwayOldDispensaryLeedsAug212018..jpg
OldFeatureOverNorthStreetDoorwayOldDispensaryLeedsAug212018..jpg (140.96 KiB) Viewed 5764 times