A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
HelenG

Post by HelenG »

Hmmm,Very interesting indeed Si .

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Sorry Si, but this pair was discussed way back in 2008. Page 21 of the thread.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Geordie Exile. I'm not surprised that someone's dug this up before! It seems it was Phill, Brandy and yourself. I even posted a comment on it at the time!Still...could be something in it...    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Si wrote: Thanks Geordie Exile. I'm not surprised that someone's dug this up before! It seems it was Phill, Brandy and yourself. I even posted a comment on it at the time!Still...could be something in it...     bit late reading this as only just catching up with stuff(work seem to have lifted the block on the site for now1).i don't think it is relevant Si as the 2 skulls we are all interested in look to have been broken off something larger hence all our efforts to try and figure out off what<G>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Geordie Exile. I'm not surprised that someone's dug this up before! It seems it was Phill, Brandy and yourself. I even posted a comment on it at the time!Still...could be something in it...     bit late reading this as only just catching up with stuff(work seem to have lifted the block on the site for now1).i don't think it is relevant Si as the 2 skulls we are all interested in look to have been broken off something larger hence all our efforts to try and figure out off what<G>. Jonesy lives!!!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I've got to page 41. I much prefer printed page to screen.This thread has been useful to get rid of my (the) common misconception that this/these are tucked away down Kirkgate somewhere.Embarrassed to admit that even earlier on this year when in town I'd looked furtive as I searched in vain for them.And there they are on Google Streetview. http://goo.gl/maps/o4EKIIncidentally I visited to photograph and a lady coming out off the front of the offices said it was a lovely view across Leeds they had. She didn't know of them.    
Attachments
__TFMF_tckz0p45bwx52syummmgm545_a49a0ace-0eec-4812-b6ea-2541ba96bd28_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tckz0p45bwx52syummmgm545_a49a0ace-0eec-4812-b6ea-2541ba96bd28_0_main.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

Si

Post by Si »

Steve Jones wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Geordie Exile. I'm not surprised that someone's dug this up before! It seems it was Phill, Brandy and yourself. I even posted a comment on it at the time!Still...could be something in it...     i don't think it is relevant Si as the 2 skulls we are all interested in look to have been broken off something larger hence all our efforts to try and figure out off what<G>. I know Steve. I was thinking that they had possibly been carved to commemorate Snow and Grimston and set-up elsewhere (old parish church?) and then moved to Crown Court at a later date, after their origins had been forgotten.    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

[I know Steve. I was thinking that they had possibly been carved to commemorate Snow and Grimston and set-up elsewhere (old parish church?) and then moved to Crown Court at a later date, after their origins had been forgotten.    Well looking again at the pictures of them in situ in Skulls Yard,it might be that there weren't any other carvings they have been seperated from as the block they are on is quite even.Maybe you have hit on a possible answer Si.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Si

Post by Si »

It would be nice to have some proof though, wouldn't it Steve? I think Phill made the original post suggesting a link way back on the 28th April 2008! PS Thanks for removing the spam, whoever it was!    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Geordie Exile. I'm not surprised that someone's dug this up before! It seems it was Phill, Brandy and yourself. I even posted a comment on it at the time!Still...could be something in it...     i don't think it is relevant Si as the 2 skulls we are all interested in look to have been broken off something larger hence all our efforts to try and figure out off what<G>. I know Steve. I was thinking that they had possibly been carved to commemorate Snow and Grimston and set-up elsewhere (old parish church?) and then moved to Crown Court at a later date, after their origins had been forgotten.     The old parish church predated the reformation (16th century),and as the parish church became church of England (with a brief respite during the reign of Mary) then such a carving would not have been permitted on an establishment (C of E) church even into the early 19th century when the medieaval church was demolished.Also the significance of Snow and Grimstons skulls,if they were the inspiration for the skulls discovered then this discovery was in 1845,and im sure we are all agreed that the weathering on these skulls appears to have occured over centuries longer than the 19th century to today (judging by olger photos taken of them in situe at Crown Court).Im still of the mind that they are either some remnant of Thomas Clavell's chapel which were uncovered when the market was being developed in the 19th century or are recovered stonework from the demolition of the Medieaval parish chuch in the 1830's.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]