A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

blast,I thought it was new,tried trawling back but couldn't spot the article.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Thought it had a ring to it as our "oldest" known written reference,thanks to Geordie for tracking it down
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Again, just to mention to younger readers (or those who haven't slogged through this lot)they're not in Kirkgate any more...But you can catch them on Google Streetview, as the camera car went 'off-road'http://goo.gl/maps/dEzgT

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon wrote: Again, just to mention to younger readers (or those who haven't slogged through this lot)they're not in Kirkgate any more...But you can catch them on Google Streetview, as the camera car went 'off-road'http://goo.gl/maps/dEzgT There is a close-up or two of them here way back, Brandy posted I think if anyone wants to search!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I posted some pics on page 3 of this thread. There's also the 'skulls resource thread'
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

drapesy wrote: I posted some pics on page 3 of this thread. There's also the 'skulls resource thread' Ooops! Confused you with old Brandy Drapsey - much sorrysSubsequent posts (though not for a while) have confirmed they were still there, must take a look.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I note that the actual article from the Leeds Mercury in 1891 by Radestock has not been printed in full on the thread.I tried getting it via my subscription to British newspapers on genesreunited.The search though is very limited and i could not narrow it down enough to get it.if anyone can copy it in,I would like to read it.it might also be an idea to look at the Leeds Mercury from 28/12/1891 onwards as it occurred to me that possibly someone might have written to the letters column about the article.A long shot but you never know!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

current view
Attachments
__TFMF_yifpfkfl4m1cfx45ubdz40jg_7858bed6-56cb-4f81-bfca-a6f2140c670f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yifpfkfl4m1cfx45ubdz40jg_7858bed6-56cb-4f81-bfca-a6f2140c670f_0_main.jpg (181.77 KiB) Viewed 3800 times

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Steve Jones wrote: I note that the actual article from the Leeds Mercury in 1891 by Radestock has not been printed in full on the thread.I tried getting it via my subscription to British newspapers on genesreunited.The search though is very limited and i could not narrow it down enough to get it.if anyone can copy it in,I would like to read it.it might also be an idea to look at the Leeds Mercury from 28/12/1891 onwards as it occurred to me that possibly someone might have written to the letters column about the article.A long shot but you never know! Tasa attached the actual article to her post on Page 87 of the thread. It's still there.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

A thought occured to me regards there origin.If you remember we speculated that as they WERE inset on what appeared to be a wall originally made from non mass produced brick that their insertion in the stable wall was mid first half of the 19th century,and given their apparent age must have come from a substantail stone built building of some antiquity.Given the estimated time of the stable being built (mid first half of the 19th century) then there were two possible sources for the skulls original origin,which was Thomas Clavells chapel,on the corner of Vicar Lane/Kirkgate, or the mediaeval St Peters parish Church.What occured to me was the skulls would appear to have a "Momento Mori" connection,as speculated by Steve Jones,which i would tend to agree with.Given that "Momento Mori" really began as a result of the Black Death in the 14th century then one could speculate that the Skulls could have been carved for a building built at or just after this time.A little fact that i had probably known,but didnt register,was that the church which predated the mediaeval predecessor of the current church, burnt down.This occured some time in the reign of Edward III,this was 1327-1377,the years of the height of the Black Death,which peaked in Europe between 1348 and 1350,with subsequent outbreaks.Given this 14th century church was itself demolished in 1838, at the time speculated for the stable wall to have been built/completed by,then perhaps we can narrow it down to the Skulls coming from the 14th century parish church.Does that make sense?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]