A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Yes I agree with that. Seems to me they must have been discovered during a development after Thoresby's time. He was an avid collector of such curiosities and as these two were so close to where he lived I think they'd have been of great interest to him and at least documented by him, if not whipped away for the collection!

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, I'd agree with that too.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Made you look
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

You did, Chris. Wouldn't want to lose all this information!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: You did, Chris. Wouldn't want to lose all this information! All giddy now we're back
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I don't think it has been mentioned before on here, but I just discovered that the book "More Annals of Leeds" published by the Thoresby Society early in the last century has an article on the skulls written in 1892!Frustratingly I can't find an online copy and Google only allow an except which is how I found out by searching on their online copy.It is page 52 if anyone can find a copy in the library.The very small excerpt Google allowed was tantalising!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: I don't think it has been mentioned before on here, but I just discovered that the book "More Annals of Leeds" published by the Thoresby Society early in the last century has an article on the skulls written in 1892!Frustratingly I can't find an online copy and Google only allow an except which is how I found out by searching on their online copy.It is page 52 if anyone can find a copy in the library.The very small excerpt Google allowed was tantalising! Tried searching the Google book reference for the word "soldiers" and "recruits" but nothing came up.I seem to recall that we may have come across it before though Steve,could be wrong,but it rings a bell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Tried searching the Google book reference for the word "soldiers" and "recruits" but nothing came up.I seem to recall that we may have come across it before though Steve,could be wrong,but it rings a bell you need to search for skulls

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I'm going on a guided tour of City Varieties tomorrow morning so will pop into The Leeds Li bray (private one) after, as hopefully they will have a copy I can look at or request.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

See my wondrous discovery on page 85 of this thread from Annals of Leeds. Tasa then tracked down the newspaper article. We sort of came to a consensus that the recruits/pressgang/crimping/hayloft story may have been a 20th Century invention, as this tale wasn't around in 1891 when Radestock wrote his Yorkshire Diary style article in the Leeds Mercury. *sings Circle of Life*