Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: Some years back there was a fire at premises on the same side not much further down Wellington Street. Does anyone recall when and where as I cannot. Apologies that this is not directly related to the Majestic/Majestyk fire but that has reminded me of the older fire. You are not subconciously thinking of this http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/messag ... eadID=2175 are you?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: Some years back there was a fire at premises on the same side not much further down Wellington Street. Does anyone recall when and where as I cannot. Apologies that this is not directly related to the Majestic/Majestyk fire but that has reminded me of the older fire. . There were three fires at Concourse House (now Apsley House) in the 1980's http://www.leedslocalindex.net/result.a ... maps/FgAAh    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote: Leodian wrote: Some years back there was a fire at premises on the same side not much further down Wellington Street. Does anyone recall when and where as I cannot. Apologies that this is not directly related to the Majestic/Majestyk fire but that has reminded me of the older fire. You are not subconciously thinking of this http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/messag ... eadID=2175 are you? I'm not that old, honest!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: Leodian wrote: Some years back there was a fire at premises on the same side not much further down Wellington Street. Does anyone recall when and where as I cannot. Apologies that this is not directly related to the Majestic/Majestyk fire but that has reminded me of the older fire. . There were three fires at Concourse House (now Apsley House) in the 1980's http://www.leedslocalindex.net/result.a ... maps/FgAAh     Cheers uncle mick. That may be the place and time. One thing I recall is that the charred premises were still like that for some time and the burnt smell persisted also. I also have a vague recollection (though I'm very unsure) of a fire some years back on the other side of Wellington Street just a little further down from the Majestic.

Jay Cartay

Post by Jay Cartay »

It's the Majestyk to me I'm afraid guys, but I'm heartbroken at this. I've always really loved this building and beautiful roof. Feeling very sad today

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There are some amazing images in the YEP today (October 2 2014) of the fire and inside as well as outside of the Majestic/Majestyk, but I thought I would post this one that I took at 11:55 a.m. today at the closed to traffic Quebec Street.
Attachments
014R.jpg
014R.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 5527 times

Leodian

Re: Majestic Cinema

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo showing the now roofless Majestic at 12:26 on December 2 2014. What remained of the roof was I understand removed on December 1 2014.
Attachments
The now roofless Majestic in a photo taken on December 2 2014.
The now roofless Majestic in a photo taken on December 2 2014.
018R.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 5464 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Lovely picture Geordie-exile and, apart form the cinema, there are some great period vehicles to be seen. The two trams are ex London Transport magnificent "Feltham" cars, impressive and very comfortable giants. The left one is on route 16 to New Inn Wortley from Halton, and the other on route 18 from Whingate to Crossgates. The inevitable GPO Morris Commerical van, centrally registered in London in those days, is passing a Mark 1 luxury but petrol gobbling Standard Vanguard, this being followed by possibly an open top Hillman Minx ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It looks like it isn't going to be roofless for much longer. Wellington Street*, where it leaves City Square, has been reduced to one lane because a temporary footpath covers much of the outside lane. Much of the rest of it, the footpath and the cycle lane have now been enveloped into the extension of the hoardings. Info suggests this is to April 2019 giving them abot 18 months to restore the building (again). I wonder if there is a "tennant" lined up this time or if it will just stand empty again?

*Fortunately it seems the contraflow due to gas mains work near Northern Street seems to have ended as that was already causing chaos back beyond City Square in the rush hours. Now they will just have to make sure buses don't "lay-up" endlessly at the stops opposite the Majestic
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

*My stop opposite the Majestic is closed forthe duration of the works with an official notice to that effect displayed on the screen tyke bhoy, so that possibility has been addressed.