Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

They have been working on it for the past few weeks.I kept meaning to mention it on here so thanks for posting what is going on.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

This is the best bit of news for a long while - the Majestic is a beautiful building and deserves to be in full use, and the proposals seem to be well thought out and sympathetic, so good luck and success to the developers and congratulations to the Council for treating the application so positively.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

chameleon wrote: YEP today:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6716479.jp(look carefully at the picture Geordie!) Aha! Wonder when that was taken?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Geordie-exile wrote: chameleon wrote: YEP today:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6716479.jp(look carefully at the picture Geordie!) Aha! Wonder when that was taken? When I read the artcle I was under the impressionthat this was a mock up,they look 'humans up' there.Part of the article :-The roof space behind decorative stone ballustrading overlooking City Square will be paved and used as a public terrace.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

jim

Post by jim »

Don't tell him, Pike!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

D'oh!Now, where's me specs?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dogduke wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: chameleon wrote: YEP today:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6716479.jp(look carefully at the picture Geordie!) Aha! Wonder when that was taken? When I read the artcle I was under the impressionthat this was a mock up,they look 'humans up' there.Part of the article :-The roof space behind decorative stone ballustrading overlooking City Square will be paved and used as a public terrace. Four prominent humans clearly in view together with two other larger figures standing precariously upon large plinths andh if also human, appear to be wearing stone cloured clothing???    

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Glad they're doing something nice with it - had some good times in Majestyks, but don't like to see good buildings empty.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Interseting comment on the moving electric lightnews display on a photo in todays top 50on Leodis,any truth in it ?From LeodisAt the top of the building , where the Sally Gray banner is, there used to be a moving electric sign giving the impression of an endless belt. This would show the news headlines of the day. I remember seeing this whilst waiting for the No19 tram, it would be 1938/39. It would disappear inSept 1939 and as far as I know it was never brought back. I seem to remember reading in the press (Yorks. Evening News) that John George Haigh designed this feature. He was the man who commtted the 'Acid Bath' murders 1945/49. I would love to have this confirmed or corrected.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BigN - Moved into the existing thread so nothing gets lostSee also today's YEP -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 3461901BIG NUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 06-Dec-2007 14:59:34Posted: 188 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2011 16:21:16.    Edit | Quote Has anyone noticed that activity has recently started on what was the Majestic cinema in city square or what was in later life The Majestyk ( or some similar stupid spelling ) night club.Whats interesting from a SL point of view is that the artists impression on the hordings outside show the finished building will, once again, be adorned with both statues and the massive stone urn's that used to grace the balcony over the main enterance and also it would appear the balcony will be open to the public.Now I realise that things don't always finish up quite the way they looked in an artists impression but it will be worth keeping an eye on to see what the finished product looks like.