Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Si wrote: I can't find it at the moment, but I think it says F F Glendinning, his number, West Yorkshire Regiment, Labour Corps, and the medal details. Hope I am not butting in but does this help ?
Attachments
__TFMF_1phxqh45xipwwjvx21kqazy4_18c2b7cc-ba1d-40f3-9f2b-d3e4358fa5df_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1phxqh45xipwwjvx21kqazy4_18c2b7cc-ba1d-40f3-9f2b-d3e4358fa5df_0_main.jpg (113.38 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Si

Post by Si »

uncle mick wrote: Si wrote: I can't find it at the moment, but I think it says F F Glendinning, his number, West Yorkshire Regiment, Labour Corps, and the medal details. Hope I am not butting in but does this help ? Thanks Mick. That's what I was looking for. Please butt-in anytime!!!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Looks like it will need more work doing. Its on fire.I had thought the refurbishment was for an already identified operator to open a nightclub but they didn't have an operator to open it. Therefore tonights events smack of an insurance job but lets wait for the official verdict
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: Looks like it will need more work doing. Its on fire.I had thought the refurbishment was for an already identified operator to open a nightclub but they didn't have an operator to open it. Therefore tonights events smack of an insurance job but lets wait for the official verdict Picture here from BBC News -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-29436144

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Oh no!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6870252The comments from readers make interesting reading. I never realised that Leeds was home to so many cynics...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The whole of Britain are cynics where listed buildings, which spontaneously combust while in the hands of "developers", are concerned. I believe there was one case of a pub in Birmingham a few months ago, where the pub wasn't listed, but I think that was a mistake by the developers .

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Great excitement in Leeds because of the Majestyk fire blocking off City Square.I had to get off at Yates.I had to laugh because in the middle of all the police and fire engines was Rat still tootling away tunelessly on his flute!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

For we Oldies in particular this is one of the saddest things ever - like many more I "grew up" with the Majestic and other fabulous cinemas in the glory days before TV etc eclipsed such great pleasures.     I've often in the last few years felt sad that the beautiful Majestic, fabulously restored, has not been "snapped up" by some organisation for a premier entertainment venue with "history and atmosphere galore" - but then, I'm not a business man. Only yesterday teatime I passed the building on my way to collect tickets in the station and reflected yet again on the situation - then after a meal in Garforth with a friend wondered why it took me nearly two hours to drive home to Headingley. Hopelessly stuck in the Boar Lane and City Square area around 2000 hours it was not obvious, despite all the drama, what was up so the rooftop flames must have been subdued a bit before flaring up severely again.Just as an aside opinion - I've always been very much against the "over pedestrianisation" of the City centre and road closures by successive Councils. Moderation in such things is OK for easier shopping, yes, but last night's tragedy graphically shows what can happen when there are virtually no feasible escape or access routes for vehicles when anything like this happens - and more crucially pitiful access for emergency vehicles such as ambulances. Just think of the "square" area bounded by Park Row, Headrow, Vicar Lane and Boar Lane - hundreds of busy shops and offices and very view meaningful passable roads anywhere - sadly I have to fear a disaster, fire or explosion or major accident etc, doesn't bear thinking about.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Steve Jones wrote: Great excitement in Leeds because of the Majestyk fire blocking off City Square.I had to get off at Yates.I had to laugh because in the middle of all the police and fire engines was Rat still tootling away tunelessly on his flute! You must have been on an early bus to get to Yeats. Having taken almost an hour to get from the jaw bones to the john smeaton viaduct with the trsffic getting slower all the time I decided a 30 minute walk would be quicker. The driver on the bus I was on told me he was supposed to be a 9.00pm departure from Wakefield bus station to Doncaster. I doubt he made it to the start of Crown Point Road inbound by then.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/