Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: I assume it's no accident that the Cenotaph's original position was in front of the site of the recruiting office? Yes indeed Si - that IS a sobering thought isn't it ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I thought I would add this photo that I took on January 2 2013. The buildings to the right (on Quebec Street and the old Post Office in City Square) still well match those in the photo taken on October 5 1919, but it is hard to readily match the area on the left.
Attachments
__TFMF_xeenfzmjgslj4i3efld0ju45_80b72a4c-2414-405d-be11-a75413dcb5c0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xeenfzmjgslj4i3efld0ju45_80b72a4c-2414-405d-be11-a75413dcb5c0_0_main.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BJF

Post by BJF »

Surely that recruitment office is the ground floor of the Majestic?

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

"Surely that recruitment office is the ground floor of the Majestic?" I thought that until I saw the picture of it demolished.

carith

Post by carith »

BJF wrote: Surely that recruitment office is the ground floor of the Majestic? Could the recruitment building have been demolished in 1919 as an attempt to errase the memory of the war.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

It is very different if you inspect the images side by side/ together. There is a short window in which it must have been demolished if the war ended in 1918 and the majestic completed 1921.

Si

Post by Si »

carith wrote: BJF wrote: Surely that recruitment office is the ground floor of the Majestic? Could the recruitment building have been demolished in 1919 as an attempt to errase the memory of the war. I doubt it - "lest we forget" and all that. Probably just surplus to requirements. Besides, the Cenotaph was put up directly in front of it's site (see photo above.)

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

BLAKEY wrote: The October 1919 picture is most interesting, and a little puzzling too. The charabancs appear to actually be proper enclosed buses with solid roofs and permanent body pillars, but this is very early for such vehicles - I thought the livery seemed very like Samuel Ledgard's colours of the time, but his first machines of that type entered service in December 1919 prior to which he had true charabancs - another of those mysteries lost in time. Blakey - I'm not sure this sort of thing happened back in 1919 but a possible suggestion.A quick check shows that the 9th Oct 1919 was a Sunday, could it have been possible that the "buses" in that photo were indeed Ledgards and that in a show of pride they were having a pre-service fleet launch and taking the oppertunity to show off their new fleet of vehicles, complete with roofs, to the intending punters of the day.Just a thought

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The caption on the pic is 5th October which was a Sunday

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

BLAKEY wrote: The building in the photo is of such a similar style to the Majestic that, if we didn't know differently, it could have been altered and extended to form the new cinema. is this a possibility? were they definitely on the exact same site? fascinating prospect if true