Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I find it interesting that the name readily used will likely show an age difference. In a BBC local television news report for example the premises were referred to as what used to be the Majestyk nightclub and that will presumably be what the 'younger' SL viewers would use. I would though say it used to be the Majestic cinema and some may even say the Majestic dance hall or even Majestic bingo.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Great excitement in Leeds because of the Majestyk fire blocking off City Square.I had to get off at Yates.I had to laugh because in the middle of all the police and fire engines was Rat still tootling away tunelessly on his flute! You must have been on an early bus to get to Yeats. Having taken almost an hour to get from the jaw bones to the john smeaton viaduct with the trsffic getting slower all the time I decided a 30 minute walk would be quicker. The driver on the bus I was on told me he was supposed to be a 9.00pm departure from Wakefield bus station to Doncaster. I doubt he made it to the start of Crown Point Road inbound by then. Hi tyke bhoy .I'm probably going to be for not knowing but where does the "jaw bones" refer to?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

the Jaw Bones refer to the set of Whale Jaw bones erected almost at the end of Wood Lane Rothwell where it meets the A61 Leeds/Wakefield Road.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... maps/eSRw5
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian i think it will be the jaw bones at the end of jaw bone lane Rothwell.Sorry tykebhoy you posted has i was writing my answer. Or is it Haigh Lane we always called it Jaw Bone Lane when we were kids we used to go fishing in a pond just at the side of the road near there.Ps Is the pond still there sorry to go off thread.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Great excitement in Leeds because of the Majestyk fire blocking off City Square.I had to get off at Yates.I had to laugh because in the middle of all the police and fire engines was Rat still tootling away tunelessly on his flute! You must have been on an early bus to get to Yeats. Having taken almost an hour to get from the jaw bones to the john smeaton viaduct with the trsffic getting slower all the time I decided a 30 minute walk would be quicker. The driver on the bus I was on told me he was supposed to be a 9.00pm departure from Wakefield bus station to Doncaster. I doubt he made it to the start of Crown Point Road inbound by then. Hi tyke bhoy .I'm probably going to be for not knowing but where does the "jaw bones" refer to? I think "tyke bhoy" will mean these.http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/west-york ... wood-lane/
Attachments
jaw-bones-wood-lane-644274.jpg
jaw-bones-wood-lane-644274.jpg (78.81 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Oh no! Chin up, at least they were not the real ladies    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

[quotenick="LeodianYou must have been on an early bus to get to Yeats. Having taken almost an hour to get from the jaw bones to the john smeaton viaduct with the trsffic getting slower all the time I decided a 30 Hi tyke bhoy .I'm probably going to be for not knowing but where does the "jaw bones" refer to? The Jaw Bones are at the end of haigh Road in Rothwell at it's junction with Leeds Road,they are a pair of Whale jaw bones brought back from a trip in the 19th century.Tidied up and made to look better in last century and a well known landmark in the area. i go past every day on the 444 bus.My bus was an early one ,got into Leeds around 7:25 which shows how early Rat gets in <LOL>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote: the Jaw Bones refer to the set of Whale Jaw bones erected almost at the end of Wood Lane Rothwell where it meets the A61 Leeds/Wakefield Road.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... maps/eSRw5 Cheers tyke bhoy and all the rest who have replied. Regarding the fire I am amazed, utterly astounded if not flabbergasted that the YEP newspaper today has a report about the fire!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Went into work this morning (at 3 o clock ill have you know!!) and was met by the Majestic in aright old state.Had the camera with me and took a couple of snaps, however, whilst i was doing so, i thought to myself "I bet Leodian is around here somewhere taking one of his snaps"
Attachments
Majestic 001 watermark1.jpg
Majestic 001 watermark1.jpg (633.53 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Some years back there was a fire at premises on the same side not much further down Wellington Street. Does anyone recall when and where as I cannot. Apologies that this is not directly related to the Majestic/Majestyk fire but that has reminded me of the older fire.