Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

pablo leeds wrote: BLAKEY wrote: The building in the photo is of such a similar style to the Majestic that, if we didn't know differently, it could have been altered and extended to form the new cinema. is this a possibility? were they definitely on the exact same site? fascinating prospect if true      No, not a possibility, and yes exactly the same site. If you look at the photos through the thread you'll see the site is cleared before the Majestic is built.    

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

fair enough. is definitely similar in style. i assume that is no coincidence. reminds me of the thread about Flares Nightclub and whether the base/ground level was altered    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

pablo leeds wrote: fair enough. is definitely similar in style. i assume that is no coincidence. reminds me of the thread about Flares Nightclub and whether the base/ground level was altered     Similar is the key, not the same. They look very different even though they are the same shape. It's likely it was that shape and continued to be so due to the shape of the site itself.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

uncle mick wrote: The caption on the pic is 5th October which was a Sunday Indeed Uncle Mick - it was the 5th I checked and the 5th I intended to type - don't ask why I typed 9th lol

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Mick. One of my great granfathers probably enlisted there in 1916. It would have been before that Si for him to have been with the Dukes at Serre in July 16,or is it another great grandad?.Did you find his enlistment papers by the way? Hi Chris. No, it's another great grandad - Frederick Firth Glendenning. He joined the West Yorkshire Regiment in (I think) 1916. I've recently found his medals. I think I may have posted a picture of them on here before somewhere. Liits and yourself replied ISTR.I'll put them on again for your interest.I also posted a group picture of WWI WYR soldiers once, believing that one of them may have been a boyfriend of my great aunt May's. However, I now think that one of the soldiers may have been Frederick, her father.Ooops, sorry. They've gone a bit big!         Ay up Si,sorry i missed your reply.Yeah i remember the picture you posted of the soldier,and i suppose it would make more sense that the family still had it in their possession if it showed an actual family member.Going back to the Somme front again next April (2014).I have identified where the Dukes "went over the top" on the 1st July 1916,http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/473 ... 4209000763 Since i originally did this Google Earth picture,based on info from the Dukes Museum,i have studied trench maps and the Regimental Diary and the black line on the picture does indeed point to the target,bou the 2nd Dukes were about where "Frontier Lane " is marked,they seem to have been where the large stuck out concentration of German "Red" trenches are,which was known to the Germans as "The Heidenkopf" and to the Britsh as "The Quadrilateral"and here,show a little closer,around Burrow Trench and Wolf Trench,which are mentioned as being held by what was left of the Dukes by tea time,this was basically the admin and support staff of the Battalionhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/4732971639/in/photostream/ Their objective,which was the second wave at 09:30,was to push through the supposedley "already" taken German 1st and 2nd lines and to press on through tp the Pusieux Ridge,south East of Serre.Needless to say they didnt make it,if your great grandad was in the 2nd Dukes at the time then he was lucky to have survived,my great uncle didnt.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Chris,Good research - interesting stuff. As far as I know, great grandad was there. He died in the 30s, and so somehow survived. I'm guessing he learnt to keep his head down, having been through the Boer War previously, and spending the intervening years in the reserve. PS Any thoughts on why t'other great grandad had two identical 1919 Peace Commemoration medals?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Hi Chris,Good research - interesting stuff. As far as I know, great grandad was there. He died in the 30s, and so somehow survived. I'm guessing he learnt to keep his head down, having been through the Boer War previously, and spending the intervening years in the reserve. PS Any thoughts on why t'other great grandad had two identical 1919 Peace Commemoration medals? Wow Si,the only way i can see that happeneing is if he transfrerred between regiments,and the paperwork wasnt done properley,meaning he appeared on the Medal Card index twice instead of once,just a thought.I have the Battalion War diary for the 2ns Dukes on 1st July (and earlier),if he was in D company then he may have been lucky enough to hear the call back,unfortunateley A,B,and C companies did not.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chris,Good research - interesting stuff. As far as I know, great grandad was there. He died in the 30s, and so somehow survived. I'm guessing he learnt to keep his head down, having been through the Boer War previously, and spending the intervening years in the reserve. PS Any thoughts on why t'other great grandad had two identical 1919 Peace Commemoration medals? Wow Si,the only way i can see that happeneing is if he transfrerred between regiments,and the paperwork wasnt done properley,meaning he appeared on the Medal Card index twice instead of once,just a thought. Unfortunately, unlike the War Medal, the commemorative medals don't have the owner's name, number and regiment struck on the side. Maybe one of them is someone elses? His Medal Card just mentions the War Medal, his name is mis-spelt (as on the medal itself) and it says he was in the "Labour Corps." Didn't they stay behind to bury the dead and "tidy up" the battlefields? Perhaps that's why he never wore the medals?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chris,Good research - interesting stuff. As far as I know, great grandad was there. He died in the 30s, and so somehow survived. I'm guessing he learnt to keep his head down, having been through the Boer War previously, and spending the intervening years in the reserve. PS Any thoughts on why t'other great grandad had two identical 1919 Peace Commemoration medals? Wow Si,the only way i can see that happeneing is if he transfrerred between regiments,and the paperwork wasnt done properley,meaning he appeared on the Medal Card index twice instead of once,just a thought. Unfortunately, unlike the War Medal, the commemorative medals don't have the owner's name, number and regiment struck on the side. Maybe one of them is someone elses? His Medal Card just mentions the War Medal, his name is mis-spelt (as on the medal itself) and it says he was in the "Labour Corps." Didn't they stay behind to bury the dead and "tidy up" the battlefields? Perhaps that's why he never wore the medals? I think they worked closely with the RE,the forerunner of the Pioneers.Does his Medal Card just say Labour Corps?

Si

Post by Si »

I can't find it at the moment, but I think it says F F Glendinning, his number, West Yorkshire Regiment, Labour Corps, and the medal details.