John Waddingtons Thwaite Gate

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi FloJo.twas mentioned by Reggie in the first post of the thread. First Direct originally an internet/phone bank, but I think have since diversified into other financial services, built a call centre on the site. They have extended at least once because there car park now covers what used to be a shed "showroom" on the corner of Wakefield/Pontefract/Low Road.It looks like someone is now building on the wasteland diagonally opposite across the junction. Even more First Direct??
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

skippy

Post by skippy »

FLOJO wrote: skippy wrote: hi ex-leeds lass, my cousin worked at plastona, her name is margaret gasser, she has been left for the past 7 yrs, but because it closed down, that i dont know, i was brought up on low rd, just below the wellington pub, and went to low rd school, used to love living in hunslet, but they knocked all the houses down, and to me that was the end of hunslet hi Skippy, What have they built on the Wakefield Road site? We have looked on Google Earth but cannot quite make out what is there. hi there, there is only direct banking there, nothing else, what a shame all that land going to waste, no wonder you can't find anything on google earth !!!
brenda littlejohn

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Plastona became Van Leer then Hutakakhi Van Leer then closed altogether. Company still exists but has sites in Northern Ireland and the south coast.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

PJ

Post by PJ »

Between 1967 and 1992 I worked at the following John Waddington's sites in Leeds: Wakefield Road, Stourton; Firth Road, Beeston; Commercial Road, Kirkstall; Westland Road, Beeston and finally Patrick Green, near Wakefield. Never made it to the playing cards factory in Keighley but I did get a set of "Mayfair" playing cards from the warehouse in Patrick Green!

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

PJ wrote: Between 1967 and 1992 I worked at the following John Waddington's sites in Leeds: Wakefield Road, Stourton; Firth Road, Beeston; Commercial Road, Kirkstall; Westland Road, Beeston and finally Patrick Green, near Wakefield. Never made it to the playing cards factory in Keighley but I did get a set of "Mayfair" playing cards from the warehouse in Patrick Green! Hi PJ you must have worked at Waddingtons Wakefield Road at the same time has me I worked from 65 to 75.
Ex Leeds Lass

Searching

Post by Searching »

Looking for people who worked at the places below on the dates given.John Waddington Limited, Kirkstall, Leeds – 1955 to 1963.Tapp & Toothill Limited, Bramley, Leeds – 1963 to 1967.Petty & Sons Limited, Wellington Road, Leeds – 1966 t0 1973If you can help please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will tell you what it is about.
infoseek

Leodian

Re: John Waddingtons Thwaite Gate

Post by Leodian »

There is a short article about Waddingtons on page 17 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (Dec 10 2016). In the article it states "Waddingtons was based where the Asda HQ stands today". As the Asda HQ is in the Great Wilson Street area it was a surprise to me to read that Waddingtons was once there. I have not been able to readily confirm that so I wonder if anyone knows if it is correct and if so when did Waddingtons move to the Thwaite Gate area?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Twice in my career have been employed to design 'secure' means of escape, where the fire exit opens into a caged corridor leading to a fenced compound. One was at the Waddington factory from the area where postage stamps and bank notes were printed.

tilly

Post by tilly »

When i was a lad Waddingtons factory was at Sturton i cant remember it being where Asda offices are now? It was at Sturton when it closed.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote:There is a short article about Waddingtons on page 17 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (Dec 10 2016). In the article it states "Waddingtons was based where the Asda HQ stands today". As the Asda HQ is in the Great Wilson Street area it was a surprise to me to read that Waddingtons was once there. I have not been able to readily confirm that so I wonder if anyone knows if it is correct and if so when did Waddingtons move to the Thwaite Gate area?
I can't seem to upload files/ photos but in the 1908 Directory John Waddington Ltd were at 38 Great Wilson Street