John Waddingtons Thwaite Gate

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: John Waddingtons Thwaite Gate

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote:
Leodian wrote:There is a short article about Waddingtons on page 17 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (Dec 10 2016). In the article it states "Waddingtons was based where the Asda HQ stands today". As the Asda HQ is in the Great Wilson Street area it was a surprise to me to read that Waddingtons was once there. I have not been able to readily confirm that so I wonder if anyone knows if it is correct and if so when did Waddingtons move to the Thwaite Gate area?
I can't seem to upload files/ photos but in the 1908 Directory John Waddington Ltd were at 38 Great Wilson Street
Thanks for that information uncle mick :).

I wonder when Waddingtons moved from Great Wilson Street?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Thinking back, the Stourton Waddingtons building had a 1920s look about it I believe.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Once again I cannot upload screenshots but Waddington's were in Stourton from at least 1922

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Looking at this they moved in 1922 http://tinyurl.com/ja3sk7g

jma

Post by jma »

A great link from uncle mick

I particularly enjoyed reading the page with people's reminiscences and people wondering what may have happened to their contemporaries. Almost 50 years ago, as a young PC stationed at Dewsbury Road, luckily having joined too late to go on a Noddy course and waiting for panda cars to be introduced in South Division, I was standing on the corner of Balm Road when a crocodile of schoolchildren appeared. Out into the middle of the road with a recently learned "traffic signal number one" - in spite of there being no traffic - and I saw them all safely over the road, all in pairs holding hands, of course. Except for one lad without a partner at the back. As he passed he chirped up with "Thank you very much for crossing us over, thank you very much, very very very much" after the manner of "The Scaffold."

(Sorry for deviating from John Waddington's, Great Wilson Street and Thwaite Gate.)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:A great link from uncle mick

I particularly enjoyed reading the page with people's reminiscences and people wondering what may have happened to their contemporaries. Almost 50 years ago, as a young PC stationed at Dewsbury Road, luckily having joined too late to go on a Noddy course and waiting for panda cars to be introduced in South Division, I was standing on the corner of Balm Road when a crocodile of schoolchildren appeared. Out into the middle of the road with a recently learned "traffic signal number one" - in spite of there being no traffic - and I saw them all safely over the road, all in pairs holding hands, of course. Except for one lad without a partner at the back. As he passed he chirped up with "Thank you very much for crossing us over, thank you very much, very very very much" after the manner of "The Scaffold."

(Sorry for deviating from John Waddington's, Great Wilson Street and Thwaite Gate.)
Hi jma :).

Seconded about uncle mick's link. All of the images are interesting but 'The kilns at Leeds Pottery (possibly around 1880)' particularly so.

I like your reminiscence but I've now got "Thank you very very much for the Aintree iron" stuck in my head ;). Wow, 50 years or so already!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.