The building is doomed i say DOOMED!

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

I agree, Phill. It's a shame. I wonder what the original interior of Broderick's Buildings was like? It's got a blue plaque, as well.There's an old Co-op near me which is in the middle of "renovation" and the original interior of the butcher's part has been revealed. However, someone has taken a lump-hammer to the tiles to fit the battens for the plasterboard. It's a disgrace!

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Thanks Phill. Enjoyed the look at the abandoned mansion. Although enjoyed may not be the correct word. Enjoyed the pics but angry (yet again) that this kind of thing is happening

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes i know that Carrotol, I really do agree with you. There's just that tiny little niggle in the back of my head that we might really upset a few people & get told off for been naughty boys :
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

Si wrote: I may be wrong (it's been known!) but I thought grade II listing meant that you only have to keep the "silhouette" so to speak. So long as the exterior remains the same, you can do what you like to the interior. I used to work in Broderick's Buildings (on Cookeridge Street - opposite the Mechanics Institute - both designed by Cuthbert Broderick) and that was grade II. The inside was completely modern - an ad agency upstairs and a bar on the ground floor. My parents also had a 17th century house (grade II listed) with attached dry-stone barn in Thackley, and the new owners converted it into two houses.I assume the Savile family motto means fast as in steadfastness, and not speed! It's Brodrick, not Broderick! Sorry - pet gripe of mine!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Si

Post by Si »

Sorry, mate! I think I spelt Cookridge wrong, an'all.