Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Excalibur
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Mon 26 Oct, 2015 4:47 pm

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Postby Excalibur » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 5:28 am

Who remembers St Dominic’s Middle School in the late 70s, early 80s. It was situated in Leopoldo Street, Leeds7, and I spent my happiest times there.
My best mate was Victor Obanye and my favourite teacher Mr. Howell!
johnnyg
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Tue 12 Feb, 2008 4:53 pm

Postby johnnyg » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:48 am

St Dominic's became the Holy Rosary and St Anne's primary and is still on the same site. My father-in-law was the caretaker there for 20-odd years, Mr Neville.
johnnyg
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Tue 12 Feb, 2008 4:53 pm

Postby johnnyg » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:48 am

St Dominic's became the Holy Rosary and St Anne's primary and is still on the same site. My father-in-law was the caretaker there for 20-odd years, Mr Neville.
loiner99
PostsCOLON 49
JoinedCOLON Tue 16 Nov, 2010 4:54 pm
LocationCOLON Batley

Postby loiner99 » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:12 pm

Does anyone remember St Charles school which was next to New York Road and I went there mid/late 50s. It had one concrete playground in which we boys played football and every so often the ball (heavy leather) would go sailing over the wrought iron fence onto the poor unsuspecting drivers on New York Road as it swept from the Woodpecker Junction up to North Street. The road level was much lower then and the fact that there was never a major accident was a minor miracle.
batchoy

volvojack
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:06 pm

[quote="loiner99"]Does anyone remember St Charles school which was next to New York Road and I went there mid/late 50s. It had one concrete playground in which we boys played football and every so often the ball (heavy leather) would go sailing over the wrought iron fence onto the poor unsuspecting drivers on New York Road as it swept from the Woodpecker Junction up to North Street. The road level was much lower then and the fact that there was never a major accident was a minor miracle.

Don't kmow why they never amalgamated St. Charles with my School Mount Saint Marys which was only a Mile or so away. In those days the Catholic Schools got very little financial help from the Leeds City Council and it would have made much more sense.

Return to