Statistics
43 users online
16956 users
103638 posts
Leodis Photographic Archive
Spacecraft crashes into Leeds store and alien monster emerges. Don't panic!
Help | Register | Login | Active Threads | Register

You are here: Home > Other stuff > General Chat> Spacecraft crashes into Leeds store and alien monster emerges. Don't panic!

Pages: 1
General Chat
Spacecraft crashes into Leeds store and alien monster emerges. Don't panic!
Page:1/1 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
Leodian
User

Joined on:
10-Jun-2010 12:33:50
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 15-Sep-2012 18:14:44. Goto attachments  

I took this photo today (Sept 15 2012). It shows a spacecraft that had crashed into a store on Briggate and an alien monster that had emerged. Amazingly, at what could have been an extraterrestrial attack, there was no panic. Good to know that in a crisis we continue shopping as normal! Regular Smiley

The store (which was the electronics 'Currys.digital') has been altered and has just reopened as the 'Republic' clothes store. The display is one of many good and highly visual creations over the years at Leeds stores, though most have been in window displays.

Jogon
User

Joined on:
21-Dec-2011 17:58:33
Posted:
3036 posts
# Posted on: 15-Sep-2012 20:23:11. Goto attachments  

Leo
I was doing my 'bored husband stands outside shoe shop as womenfolk buy shoes' this afty up there.

There was one of those street artists who was puzzling and amazing folks by appearing to sit down on >nothing< !
You may have seen him near Jones shoes.

He stands. He sits down. He even crosses his right leg over.

I reckon I have sussed it:-
Beneath him is a rug on the pavement
He has big shoes/trousers/suit with tails turned up front + back
The rug goes beneath + behind
So
methinks metal frame hidden 'chair' goes under rug up left leg and seat beneath him (within big trousers). See pic.    

raveydavey
User

Joined on:
22-Mar-2007 20:29:07
Posted:
2796 posts
# Posted on: 15-Sep-2012 20:27:24.  

Leodian wrote:
I took this photo today (Sept 15 2012). It shows a spacecraft that had crashed into a store on Briggate and an alien monster that had emerged. Amazingly, at what could have been an extraterrestrial attack, there was no panic. Good to know that in a crisis we continue shopping as normal! Regular Smiley

The store (which was the electronics 'Currys.digital') has been altered and has just reopened as the 'Republic' clothes store. The display is one of many good and highly visual creations over the years at Leeds stores, though most have been in window displays.

Nice pic - the story will probably feature in Wednesdays YEP...

Wink
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell  
Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 15-Sep-2012 20:53:24.  

Cheers Jogon and raveydavey. Regular Smiley

I did not see that street artist, but I shall look out for him. Sounds intriguing.    

Jogon
User

Joined on:
Posted:
3036 posts
# Posted on: 15-Sep-2012 23:25:15.  

Leo
Just noticed, to the left of your pic is a narrow building, retail/ground currently Body Shop corner of Briggate/Albion Pl.

Did I dream it or did there used to be a Gents Barber Shop downstairs there mid 60's?

Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2012 10:50:12.  

Jogon wrote:
Leo
Just noticed, to the left of your pic is a narrow building, retail/ground currently Body Shop corner of Briggate/Albion Pl.

Did I dream it or did there used to be a Gents Barber Shop downstairs there mid 60's?

Sorry Jogon but I don't recall what was there then so I cannot help on this one.

salt 'n pepper
User

Joined on:
09-Sep-2010 23:14:30
Posted:
519 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2012 14:46:22.  

Leodian wrote:
Jogon wrote:
Leo

Sorry Jogon but I don't recall what was there then so I cannot help on this one.

I remember during the sixties that shop premises being occupied by Horne Brothers. Cannot remember that there was anything around there to do with tonsorial enhancement though.
However! It's always wise to check before posting so I had a quick google for Horne Bros Briggate and this came up - a poem by Cliff Ashby at http://www.happenstancepress.com

Insomnia

I cannot sleep
Nor can I sit still:
The night engulfs me.
Over my earpiece
Lunceford plays Margie
From seventy years ago
When the future
Still looked lovely
And I sported a trilby
And a Cary Grant
Haircut acquired
From Horne Bros, Briggate.
I thought myself
Irresistible, which
Palpably I wasn’t.
Come 1936, Lunceford
Was out of favour
And my heroes
Were Lester Young
And the Basie Band.
Lady Be Good
Was my first
Encounter with Lester.
Not that I wanted
My lady to be good.
No, that was not what
I hankered after
In the dead still
Of a windless night
When the silent trees
Lusted for the moon
And I had
Less noble dreams.

So back to the Barbers Shop. Maybe. Maybe not. Whether the trilby and the haircut were both acquired from Horne Brothers is unclear. Whether the narrative is a total fiction is unknown.
A bit of research shows that Cliff Ashby was born in Norfolk in 1919 and left school at 14, later moving to Leeds to become a window-dresser.

Here is another extract from the Internet...
Much of Ashby's poetry presents versions of his autobiographical and observational experience of the Leeds area with a compelling unsentimentality and documentary vividness. A dourly humorous disenchantment contributes to the remarkable levelness of tone common to harrowingly personal poems and scathing reflections on the spiritual bankruptcy of modern existence.

Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs.

£33000 for Giles in 1963. Compared to that money, even the Frenchman seems dear. 
Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2012 18:03:21.  

That's interesting salt 'n pepper. Perhaps there was a barber/shaving place inside Horne Brothers.

As to Cliff Ashby's poetry your "Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs." made me Regular Smiley.    

salt 'n pepper
User

Joined on:
09-Sep-2010 23:14:30
Posted:
519 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 11:22:12.  

Following on from my earlier post which unveiled the poetry of Cliff Ashby on this site, I am now totally convinced that there is nothing which is left uncovered on YouTube.
There are references in the poem 'Insomnia' to Lunceford playing 'Margie' and to Lester Young's rendition of 'Lady Be Good'.
If you are remotely interested and have a minute or two to spare, here they are. And if you're musical taste is bordering on eclectic, you will not be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWJZy6t4UGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqwPX4T4E0    
£33000 for Giles in 1963. Compared to that money, even the Frenchman seems dear. 
Phallica2000
User

Joined on:
02-Sep-2012 17:26:56
Posted:
103 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 12:28:35.  

Leodian wrote:

Your photo no longer works.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful. 
Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 13:02:16.  

Phallica2000 wrote:
Leodian wrote:

Your photo no longer works.

Yes it does. You need to click on the red cross, which is what I stated to you some days back in another thread when you said a photo of mine was not working. You should read responses to your posts.

jim
User

Joined on:
17-May-2009 14:39:44
Posted:
1523 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 13:44:15.  

Phallica2000, if you don't see a red cross, click onto "submit query" and try that.

BarFly
User

Joined on:
06-Nov-2011 20:09:19
Posted:
478 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 17:21:53.  

jim wrote:
Phallica2000, if you don't see a red cross, click onto "submit query" and try that.

It may also appear as a "missing image" type link in other browsers (I think the red cross is Interbet Explorer, "Submit Query" is Firefox and others show a missing image icon).

raveydavey
User

Joined on:
22-Mar-2007 20:29:07
Posted:
2796 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2012 20:02:50.  

BarFly wrote:
jim wrote:

It may also appear as a "missing image" type link in other browsers (I think the red cross is Interbet Explorer, "Submit Query" is Firefox and others show a missing image icon).

Opera also shows "Submit Query".
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell  
Jogon
User

Joined on:
Posted:
3036 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 15:44:51.  

[quotenick="salt 'n pepper"][quotenick="Leodian"]
Jogon wrote:
Leo

......."
And I sported a trilby
And a Cary Grant
Haircut acquired
I thought myself
Irresistible, which
Palpably I wasn’t...."
---------------------------------------------------
S&P I think that might be it !

Could do with some trade directory guru like Uncle M. Think you went down-stairs and there was a row of barber's chairs facing wall/mirror on 'albion pl' side.

uncle mick
User

Calverley, Middleton and Hunslet born and bred
Joined on:
14-Jan-2009 11:13:15
Posted:
1150 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 18:37:30. Goto attachments  

[quotenick="Jogon"][quotenick="salt 'n pepper"]
Leodian wrote:
Jogon wrote:
Leo

......."
And I sported a trilby
And a Cary Grant
Haircut acquired
I thought myself
Irresistible, which
Palpably I wasn’t...."
---------------------------------------------------
S&P I think that might be it !

Could do with some trade directory guru like Uncle M. Think you went down-stairs and there was a row of barber's chairs facing wall/mirror on 'albion pl' side.

From British Phone Books

Jogon
User

Joined on:
Posted:
3036 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 19:54:19.  

Uncle M
Ta. So is it poss that I got my awful haircuts there early mid 60's?

Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4543 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 20:00:54.  

Hi Jogon.

On doing a search of the Leodis website I came across a photo taken on 28 July 1937. It shows the same general view of the buildings that are still there in my photo that started this thread. Though there is no mention of Horne's in the description it does coincidently mention Fleming's hairdresser at 67A (but I cannot make that out in the photo). So sorry that it may not help you but I thought it may still be of interest to SL. Note that what is the entrance to Republic (and at least Curry's.digital before) looks as if it could be a passageway (or possibly just to a rear area) in at least 1937.
This is the link to the Leodis photo:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002319_22053164&DISPLAY=FULL    

uncle mick
User

Joined on:
Posted:
1150 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 21:31:00.  

Jogon wrote:
Uncle M
Ta. So is it poss that I got my awful haircuts there early mid 60's?

Yes. That snip was from 1980

stutterdog
User

Joined on:
15-Jun-2009 21:16:41
Posted:
853 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2012 21:31:45.  

Jogon wrote:
Leo
I was doing my 'bored husband stands outside shoe shop as womenfolk buy shoes' this afty up there.

There was one of those street artists who was puzzling and amazing folks by appearing to sit down on >nothing< !
You may have seen him near Jones shoes.

He stands. He sits down. He even crosses his right leg over.

I reckon I have sussed it:-
Beneath him is a rug on the pavement
He has big shoes/trousers/suit with tails turned up front + back
The rug goes beneath + behind
So
methinks metal frame hidden 'chair' goes under rug up left leg and seat beneath him (within big trousers). See pic.    

Seen this sort of thing on the front at Los Cristianos,Tenerife in Feb. this year. I took a photo of him. I'll see if I can put it on here. Probably wont work as I've tried before.
Its no good ,invalid file type.Its a video not a photo! Sorry.
We came upon him just as he was about to dismantle the set. A tent was erected around him so we couldn't see what he did.    
ex-Armley lad 
uncle mick
User

Joined on:
Posted:
1150 posts
# Posted on: 19-Sep-2012 08:26:36. Goto attachments  

Leodian wrote:
Hi Jogon.

On doing a search of the Leodis website I came across a photo taken on 28 July 1937. It shows the same general view of the buildings that are still there in my photo that started this thread. Though there is no mention of Horne's in the description it does coincidently mention Fleming's hairdresser at 67A (but I cannot make that out in the photo). So sorry that it may not help you but I thought it may still be of interest to SL. Note that what is the entrance to Republic (and at least Curry's.digital before) looks as if it could be a passageway (or possibly just to a rear area) in at least 1937.
This is the link to the Leodis photo:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002319_22053164&DISPLAY=FULL    

In the 1939 Phone book Fleming's hairdresser is listed at 97A ???

Pages: 1